Thread: The Probe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I suppose anything would do. I think my vote would go to sort of an artistic visualization of a level, like for example how you did the header on your website. The title perhaps could be composed of those gray blocks.
    Also, I would not align the menu like that, unless there is a good reason for it of course, such as an image that is placed next to it and the menu is aligned to follow a pattern to match the image. Centered alignment is usually the best way to go.

Thanks WILL and Traveler for the ideas

I will see what I can come up with

I WILL (pun intended!) change the heading to more closely match the website header though - it would look better LOL

cheers,
    Paul

I have update The Probe site again (http://theprobegame.com).

Has a new post, and have uploaded the latest version to boot

Please let me know what you think of the main menu now

cheers,
    Paul

it works cool under firefox, clean sit.

good job

Hey all,
    I haven't uploaded the latest version yet, but I have been playing with a new element in The Probe...a Sentry.

The Sentry has a rotating beam that if it hits the player, then an energy discharge hits the player causing damage. If you take too much damage, you die.

At the moment, it zaps the player if in range regardless of the beam's location - I need to work out the collision detection yet (see this thread if you think you can help [http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...sion-detection]):

I have also changed the crystals graphic, and made it so there are different colours available when designing levels - looks much nicer I think

PS. A person playing the game can now use a game controller to play (yay!), and can even configure the keys & game controller button use to control the game!!

cheers,
    Paul

stephan

I have a question for you all regarding some graphics for The probe...

I want to represent the probe's "health" using some sort of graphic, and I was thinking that a spanner would look good (as the player is a robotic probe...):

spanner.png

If I had this added to the head up display with a percentage next to it (0-100), and have the icon also as a collectable in-game to recover health, do you think this is intuitive enough to represent the player's health in the game?

See the possible HUD screenshot below:

I am also playing with the health power-up box colour too...any suggestions would be nice

cheers,
    Paul

Yeah, I think that would work quite well. It's not an uncommon icon in games. The blue frame around the spanner doesn't really fit imo though (color-wise).
    I toyed in Lightwave for a bit and came up with this animation. Here is the animationstrip: .
    The light reflection is perhaps a bit strong in this one, but I can change that if you want to.