Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The New PGD Starts Tomorrow!

I had same issue as pain. Locked out, would not accept the password that was sent etc etc.

Are there any real benefits to the new forum software? Or was it just change for sake of change?
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Hi, this might sound silly to waste my time to register a new account, just to tell you, i will no longer be visiting this forum for several reasons, after trying to login my real account, my password no longer worked, i tried to reset my pass, which sent me a random pass to my email, which when i tried to enter those details it told me wrong combination and subsequently blocked me from logging in for 15 minutes. i was also one of the members to warn that vBulletin is a very very bad choice, also another reason is. I really HATE change, i wanted to be able to come to a forum daily and chat about coding, or check up on the latest info, i dont want to be bothered with changing preferences, getting used to new websites, having my account blocked.... i much prefered the very original site and template on phpbb, which when changed to the new one i spent a long time getting used to the new style and site, and just when i finally got used to it, i came to the site today and this happened. i am very dissapointed that a programming community needs to rely on another website/forum system rather then furthur develope and spend coding time on the current site/forum.... thanks to those people that have helped me anyways, ciao.
    If you do wish to pop back in the future, Will mentioned above that importing deleted or glitched a few accounts and he could try to help, but you don't seem too interested.

The very original site on phpbb annoyed me slightly, the SMF one was "all right", they didn't want to install mods to add new functionality so purchased vB. I understand your feelings to a small extent, I don't have enough experience with other paid forum/etc software to make a valid judgment though.

I don't think there's much to get used to; maybe a few buttons are located differently and the colors have changed, but it's easy to ignore using blogs and articles. Then again, I have a friend who feels the same way toward these types of changes when I'm rather indifferent. Wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    I had same issue as pain. Locked out, would not accept the password that was sent etc etc.

Are there any real benefits to the new forum software? Or was it just change for sake of change?
    The main purpose was to add new functionality such as the blogs and articles which would easily allow the regular users to contribute to the overall site. (as far as I can tell) Deciding if it has more benefits than SMF is largely opinion, though.

(Blah double post?)

Blog Entries
    Well I'm sorry that past members like "Pain" feel like they have to leave a community like ours. The change over to the new VBulletin was not made over night. In fact we looked all over for a new replacement for SMF. We were not going back to phpBB obviously because it did not have the features we needed AND the current SMF was not working properly. We also felt that SMF 2 would also not give us the functionality and bug-free usage that a "paid for" site software would.

So rather than waste time programming our own software to incorporate all the features our members would desire, we chose to go with vBulletin instead so that we would have more time to focus on more fun and interesting things such as future PGD Annual competitions, advertising and bringing new people to the community, writing articles, posting news on the main page once again (tell me you don't miss that?) and organizing events for everyone to enjoy.

Free BB and CMS software was and is not the answer for us at PGD. The adjustment to a new site software will bring a period of adjustment no matter what we went with. We are working to fix accounts and get you up and working again, however this is a part of the adjustment process. If you are willing to go through the odd inconveniences initially I'm sure that you will find the rewards of the new site worth it.

As for benefits of vBulletin there are many I've listed some of the main ones on the main page.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Well, I see once again the total /FAIL/ at web design with all the fonts declared in a undersized px metric... Though that's typical for the fat bloated train wreck that is vBulletin -- especially version 4. Sad when I'd rank this lower than phpBB, which is on my total *** list.

Particularly laughing at the invisible links in the footer... though at LEAST the content text has legible contrast, so unlike previous incarnations I won't have to use user CSS to override the color scheme just to make it legible -- all I have to do is dive for the zoom to increase it to 160%.

Basically, a mixed reaction. I hate vBull because of it's bloat and outdated markup circa 1997, where it blows 600+K to deliver 14k of plaintext. (say no to javascript libraries!)... and I hate having to dive for the zoom due to font declarations on content that should NEVER be done that way... but at the same time the color scheme is a VAST improvement.

If anything, it feels like a step sideways instead of forwards.
    Last edited by deathshadow; 14-09-2010 at 04:30 AM.
    The accessibility of a website from time to time must be refreshed with the blood of designers and owners. It is its natural manure

Back after a few years.. perfect timing.

Was able to get my profile info updated and password reset without too much hassle (yay for being my own ISP -- can recreate old email addresses temporarily at will).

As for the software.. meh. As long as it works and I can do what I need to do (read/post/etc), I don't care. I don't prefer vB, but I can use it happily enough.

@Murmandamus: Back foul pantathian! Yeah, I'm a Raymond E Fiest fan

@WILL: Everythings looking good so far, except that I cant change the silly American date format... (or Canadian if you had anything to do with that *glare* )

Works fine for me, congrats for the good work Will !

Blog Entries
    Hey Mike, glad to see you around again. You'll have to post about some of your future digital exploits soon. And... no, at least I don't think I had anything to do with the date format. I'm not sure if it can be changed, but if it can then you should check out the "Settings" link at the top of the site page to the far right. In there you may have an option.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hehe, I'll have to come up with some digital exploits first! I looked in the settings and couldnt find anything. Oh well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast