Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PGD Annual 2011 Competition; Thoughts

Blog Entries
    I can confirm that the next PGD Annual theme will be simpler than the last few years.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I also think that we have to ask ourselves what the best time is to organize a competition. Personally, I dont have any time left in 2010. Februari/March would probably be good for me.

I can confirm that the next PGD Annual theme will be simpler than the last few years.
    Actually, the "arcade" theme of previous year was really easy. The stupid thing was that I just ignored that and made one of the most complicated pascal games.. (math-wise) :? I really shouldn't fall into that trap again.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

I've always wanted to do something that has a strong interaction between the action on the screen and the sound effects and music.

Something like Everyday Shooter where every time you blow up something, it adds notes to the music.
    Or that Song Rider game where you ride on a glowing line that represents the music track currently playing, and it gets twistier the more energetic the music is.
    My site: DelphiTuts.com (coming soon)...

Download Font Studio 4.21 here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
    Or that Song Rider game where you ride on a glowing line that represents the music track currently playing, and it gets twistier the more energetic the music is.
    I immediatly thought about audiosurf. Yeah.. those kind of games are very interesting. The problem is that they have some pretty complex code to get the right information from the music track like bpm and such.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Yeah thats the name, Audiosurf!

True, but FMOD has a DSP function that returns an array of floating point numbers telling you how loud each frequency band is right now, so you wouldnt be able to do something that requires future knowledge of the music, but you could do real time animation for instance against it..
    My site: DelphiTuts.com (coming soon)...

Download Font Studio 4.21 here.

Can't wait... This time I'm going to make something simple... monochrome, 320x480...
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Blog Entries
    Continuing from these posts in this thread http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...ll=1#post56086...

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Any hints on the theme?
    Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Indeed, any hints to a theme or potential themes/ideas to do with the next PGD? Looking forward to it already...
    I can make a suggestion... get some assets ready and start to pick out the library/engine or get your own engine ready before-hand. I find that not having enough assets like sprites or having portions of my game code not working really slows down my development.

Actually often this is usually the case of what I hear from most competitors who's entries don't get submitted.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Thanks for the tips Jason

cheers,
    Paul

It's hard to focus on creating assets when 90% of them might not end up being used due to a specific theme; as for base code hopefully it won't take 3-5 months to get that ready

Blog Entries
    Could we have the basis for an entire game ready already? I mean, I have 2d tile drawing, map files from TileD, gravity and soon to be particle effects all working together, all I need is the tiles and place those in maps and presto: any 2d game is almost done. Except for space where I have to change over to my 'Open Movement' engine where its not based on 'steps' from tile to tile...

From that perspective it seems rather easy, so is that even allowed? But I agree with dazappa, it is hard trying to create random assets for almost no reason at all and without knowing if they will ever be used. Hey, anyone know of a good spriting/tile drawing/pixel art tutorial for GIMP/similar?

cheers,
    code_glitch
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast