Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI) class for Jarrod's HGE

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
    Hehe, thats because it is from an early version of FL Studio! I'm pretty sure either Jan Horn or I did that window skin a very very long time ago

You may want to change your window borders if you use it for anything commercial as many people will recognise it.

What are you using for your font rendering - it looks a bit blurry? You can always try Font Studio if you need a good bitmap font generator.
    Hi Nitrogen,
    I got the window borders from here:

http://www.sulaco.co.za/opengl_project_glWindows.htm

Isn't that public domain?

LOL! I HAVE used font studio as the font generator and I used this font:

http://www.dafont.com/blade-runner.font

The same font for the rest of my game, but at 8 point size...this seems to make it blurry as you noted though.

I have since gone to the System font built into HGE instead for the GUI font.

cheers,
    Paul
    cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Hi Nitrogen,
    I got the window borders from here:

http://www.sulaco.co.za/opengl_project_glWindows.htm

Isn't that public domain?
    The *code* is public domain yes, but the graphics are ripped from FL Studio. I used to know the creator of sulaco.co.za before he passed away and I remember that project as one that I had inspired him to create, and I think he used the same graphics assets that I had - Which I had ripped from FLStudio

Anyway, as you can see it's quite recognisable by a lot of people, so probably a good idea to find something else to use in it's place...

LOL! I HAVE used font studio as the font generator and I used this font:

http://www.dafont.com/blade-runner.font

The same font for the rest of my game, but at 8 point size...this seems to make it blurry as you noted though.

I have since gone to the System font built into HGE instead for the GUI font.

cheers,
    Paul
    cheers,
    Paul
    Actually the Bladerunner font seems cleaner to me, but I wouldnt use it at 8pt size.
    The system font seems like it's not aligned to the pixel boundaries: so for example, it's almost like you are drawing the font at X: 10.5 and Y:11.5, the crisp clean lines will blur with half the line being in one row of pixels and half into the row below. Maybe try another Font Studio font thats readable at 8pnt
    My site: DelphiTuts.com (coming soon)...

Download Font Studio 4.21 here.

Okay, so I like messing around in photoshop, so I decided to build you a GUI skin that looks similar and has the same dimensions - and is completely license free of course.

Here it is:

GUISkin.png

And here is the PSD photoshop file if you want to tweak it:

GUISkin.psd
    Last edited by Nitrogen; 03-10-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Okay, so I like messing around in photoshop, so I decided to build you a GUI skin that looks similar and has the same dimensions - and is completely license free of course.

Here it is:

GUISkin.png

And here is the PSD photoshop file if you want to tweak it:

GUISkin.psd
    Thanks mate

One question, do you think it would be ok if I changed the window part to use your new graphics, but keep my widget graphics since I didn't get those from FL studio?

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Hey your game is really starting to look polished.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Hey your game is really starting to look polished.
    Thanks for the kind words WILL

Yeah, I am pleased with how the interface is turning out - very retro 80's look (as one friend said looking at it), which is what I was going for LOL

The good thing is I can now control all the options (except for controls ATM) using my menus and GUI input - I just have to add keyboard support for the GUI too to make it faster to use

cheers,
    Paul

Thanks mate

One question, do you think it would be ok if I changed the window part to use your new graphics, but keep my widget graphics since I didn't get those from FL studio?

cheers,
    Paul
    Certainly... The window part was the only thing from FLStudio, so the rest is fine... Just thought I'd make some widgets that match the theme of the window.

Certainly... The window part was the only thing from FLStudio, so the rest is fine... Just thought I'd make some widgets that match the theme of the window.
    Nice work on the new graphics, but I think I will keep the widget graphics for now - I have grown rather font of them

PS. Long live Font Studio!

cheers,
    Paul

I have now made use of Nitrogen's new window graphics...thanks mate!!

Here is a screenshot of the new window look

I have also added keyboard control to the GUI so you can control both the menus and GUI elements using the keyboard...yay!

You can tab/shift+tab or cursor up/down to move between the widgets, space clicks radiobuttons/check boxes, and cursor left/right decreases/increases the current value for horizontal trackbars.

There is a focus 'rect' around the currently selected control so you know which one is active.

cheers,
    Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12