Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [DirectSound][FreePascal 2.4.x]Playing OGG in separate threads

[DirectSound][FreePascal 2.4.x]Playing OGG in separate threads

Hello everyone!

I have one problem with FreePascal 2.4.x and DirectSound - my application crash when I use two and more threads for playing OGG. But I have no problems when I compile my code by FreePascal 2.2.4 and any version of Delphi(7,2009,2010). Maybe this is a luck that I have no problems with Delphi, but maybe I do something wrong. Can you help me?

Here you can find source code and all needed dll's. Examples only for Lazarus, but you can adopt them for Delphi(there are only few lines of code in unit1.pas). Directory "source" contains "lite" version of modules from ZenGL library. "Problematic" functions - snd_PlayFile and snd_ProcFile(thread function) in zgl_sound.pas. DirectSound stuff contained in zgl_sound_dsound.pas. All other code works fine, because there are no problems with OpenAL variant.

Oh... there is one problem with ButtonClick function in unit1.pas, so here correct code for example:
    Code:
      var
        t : Double;
        a : Integer;
    begin
      wnd_Handle := Form1.Handle; // getting handle of Window for DirectSound

snd_Init(); // Sound subsystem initialization

snd_PlayFile( 'music.ogg' ); // creating first thread for playing
      t := timer_GetTicks();

while timer_GetTicks() - t < 1000 do; // waiting one second
      a := snd_PlayFile( 'music.ogg' ); // creating second thread for playing

while sfStream[ a ]._playing do; // waiting before second thread end playing
    end;

I don't have any experience with directsound, so I'm afraid I cant really help you.

But why are you using DirectSound? First of all, it will only work on windows. Moreover, I've heard that it's a very hard API to work with (allthough you seem to be using a wrapper). Have you looked into OpenAL or SDL Mixer? Those seem quite good to me, especially for games.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    But why are you using DirectSound? First of all, it will only work on windows.
    Yeah, I know about this and I'm using Linux on my home PC Also I have OpenAL variant of OGG streaming(for Linux and MacOS X), but I want use DirectSound on Windows, because with it there is no need in 3rd party heavy dll's

Why go through all the trouble, just to get rid of one or two DLL's? If you can make the game work with OpenAL on both linux and windows, you're done. Generally, users don't worry about DLL's.

Also, the OpenAL installer is really lightweight, as far as I can tell. I normally include the installer when I distribute my games. It's about 750kb.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozpher
    Why go through all the trouble, just to get rid of one or two DLL's?
    Because of fun and I have some principles So, I want understand why my code didn't work correct with FreePascal 2.4.x

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but posting anyway. It's about pointer size and integers, which work differently than Delphi i presume:
    http://wiki.freepascal.org/Integer

User137
    Thanks for answer, but no, problem not in pointer size or something like that, because I use my own type(when calculate an address), and if the problem was in it - it will be reproducibly with one thread and any version of FreePascal.

So... if nobody don't want to watch my code, or can't help me with answer "why demo doesn't work in FreePascal 2.4.x"- who can show me some examples of ogg streaming with DirectSound? With Pascal source code of course Maybe problem only in this version of FreePascal, but developers on official bugzilla not interested in this "bug".

Blog Entries
    Been annoyed with audio (especially mp3) in pascal, resorted to BassFPC. Could anyone suggest a good OpenAl tutorial and whether it can play mp3? Thanks.
    And sorry for posting this here, but this was recent more or less on topic and that way I didn't clutter the forum.

Mods, if you feel this belongs elsewhere, please move it or if you don't have time mail me and I will move it.

cheers,
    code_glitch

~EDIT~
    Oh, and PS. I stuck with 2.2.4 since in 2.4.0 (i tried it early on) it really got to me with its new error messages and etc.. drove me insane. 120 lines code, 170 errors it went on a test program... Is it still this glitchy? Darn it FPC WHYYYYYYYYY?
    Last edited by code_glitch; 01-10-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: forgot the PS...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    So... if nobody don't want to watch my code, or can't help me with answer "why demo doesn't work in FreePascal 2.4.x"- who can show me some examples of ogg streaming with DirectSound? With Pascal source code of course Maybe problem only in this version of FreePascal, but developers on official bugzilla not interested in this "bug".
    Well, My guess is that nobody here is using directsound. Actually, I wouldn't recommend using it at all. Just read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectSound#Windows_Vista

Aside from being an awefull API to work with (as far as I've seen it), it is deprecated. Windows vista has a new audio stack that doesn't directly support the DirectSound drivers. It is still supported through emulation, but a lot of features won't work anymore. It doesn't really supprise me that nobody is interested in fixing this bug.
    Overall, I think that OpenAL is a way better option. It has more features, better support and it doesn't suffer from these problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast