hi all

i still don't understand this :

TColor =packed record
    case integer of
    0 : (R, G, B, A : Byte);
    1 : (C : Cardinal);
    end;

i mean 0 and 1 , whats the meaning of theme

You can use the case statement to map different types of variables in the same memory space.The types used must be equal size, ie. Cardinal = 4 bytes in this case.

Code:
    MyColor.R := $FF;
    MyColor.G := $00;
    MyColor.B := $FF;
    MyColor.A := $00;
    // Is equal to
    MyColor.C :=  $00FF00FF;
    Another example
    Code:
    TVector = record
       case Integer of
          0: (x, y, z: Single);
          1: (v: array [0..2] of Single);
    end;

MyVector.x := 5.75;
    MyVector.y := 1.75;
    MyVector.z := 0.00;
    // Is equal to
    MyVector.v[0] := 5.75;
    MyVector.v[1] := 1.75;
    MyVector.v[2] := 0.00;
    Last edited by vgo; 02-10-2010 at 10:29 AM.

The 1 and 0 don't really mean anything. They just show that there are two different ways to access that piece of memory. During program execution, you can access either R, G, B and A or C to change the whole color at once.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I found it funky that you can even stick functions and procedures into records as well.

Actually what I've never been able to figure out what 'packed' really does, or maybe I simply forgot. What is the purpose of this keyword and what does it do?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

This is called a variant record. It's similar to C++'s union, but it's not the same, so you can't confuse them and put them two in the same basket. Compare Wikipedia article about unions and variant records.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainer View Post
    I see now. Thanks!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

embedded case in a record is a very useful thing

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I see now. Thanks!
    About the "packed" clause in record defination, the most important think is to know is that if you do not use "packed" then delphi/pascal is free to add "invisibles" fields to the record to adjust the total size of the structure for best perfomance; so take note that using for example "sizeof(myrecord)," could give you a record size different at what you think if you sum indididually every field size;

Normaly there is not any problem using or not a packed record if you are going to use its members in traditional way. but if you are going to update/read data from records using move(), or blockread()/blockwrite() or similar function & procedure where you pass the record for read or write his members from a block memory then is adviced to use packed records so you as programmer are completly sure you record is aligned as you defined.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast