Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JUI - Another GUI

This looks really cool and interesting. How long till we can find a link on where to download/play with it?

- Jeremy

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Well that's the thing, I've never released anything before publicly except for code snippets and my opinions (oh and a telnet chat server called PHiNET which after all these years, still floats on software sites) What I'm trying to find out is if it's worth sharing the code in some form of version repository (CVS,GIT etc) to try and encourage submissions. But then if the interest is not there, it may be more appropriate to just create a site and offer the files.

I need to think carefully about how I release it and at what stage of development I release it. I mean it and many other things I have are perfectly usable right now, unfortunately I'm a perfectionist (at least to the bounds of my skill) who has classicly subscribed to "it's only finished when there's nothing else to add"; That now has to change.

I am going to push myself to release at least JUI after I've completed the work mentioned in the above posts. (I will probably leave scripting for a later release however. I've not seen a usage scenerio in anyones game projects that could justify scripting support past "because it's fun")

I want to get it out ASAP because there's an article I badly want to write for PGD
    Last edited by phibermon; 13-10-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

any chance to see the exe ?

Ok.. about versioning systems:

I think a lot of people from PGD don't use them so you could just release the files. However, there are some who use SVN so that might be an option too. I prefer GIT, so publishing the project on github would be nice (also gives the other users a normal compressed download).
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice I believe github may be a good choice

Virtual : good idea! I think people would be more interested if they had somthing tangible that they could at least have a quick play with.

Anyone know any good free webhosts so I can throw together a bit of a page and provide some data? I think I shall release stable stuff on the site and sync with github after each coding session.

I'm also hoping that the coding style appeals to someone who'd like to contribute. I think I'd love to see more community projects like GLScene, even if it isn't my own
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12