Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
The idea is to use bass as a base (excuse the pun) to get prometheus running, then once I make a public release of the audio units, hunt out some openal code or similar to play audio. The user side interface wont change, thus giving me extra time to test out what would and wouldnt be easy for newbies to grasp. Once I have that, I will definitely change over to more open source alternatives.

cheers,
code_glitch
Hmm.. It seems to me that you are wasting your time with BASS. My experience is that it is more work to make an API do what you want, then to write the wrapper around it. If you get to the point where everything works perfectly with BASS and then remove BASS, you are only left with an empty wrapper. It might be that BASS is super-easy to use and has no pitfalls/problems. In that case, I might be mistaking.

So, why not use OpenAL from the start? It is more work, but when it's done, you have finished your audio module. If it appears that you have to change your design because of OpenAL, your BASS implementation is not very usefull.

Just my $0.02.

BTW: Does BASS work on Linux? I thought it was targeted at windows and mac.