Thread: JEDI-SDL : anyone using it...

JEDI-SDL : anyone using it...

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone is using JEDI-SDL ( http://www.sf.net/projects/jedi-sdl ) for cross-platform ( Window and Linux ) game development?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Not yet, but I intend to. I'm currently using OpenGL or DirectDraw for my fiddlings, slowly building up a set of classes. I'm aware that this is a bit pointless, really, so SDL wiill be the first choice when I start writing a decent-sized game (dependent on how it fares in test apps).

A quick question: how easy is pixel manipulation in SDL versus DirectDraw? My immediate concern is pixel-based demo effects, so it has to be easy for me to use in that respect. If it is easy then I may convert some of my effects to it to learn how to use it.
    "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind."
    <br />-- Aristotle

RE : JEDI-SDL : anyone using it...

Hi Ali,
    JEDI-SDL has a couple of units called SDLUtils.pas and SDLi386Utils.pas.
    Both contain funcitons that handle such things as pixel manipulation and various other 2D effects type functions. The funcitons in SDLUtils.pas are pure Pascal for portability ( MacOS maybe ), while the ones in SDLi386Utils.pas are hand coded assembler versions of the same functions. Both units compile and work under Windows and Linux ( i386 ).

A few people are putting together a component set for JEDI-SDL which we hope will rival DelphiX and the like, when it is done. We also have 2 or 3 GUI libraries that various developers have been working on, which we hope to consolidate into a flexible system. The deadline I have set for all this to be implemented, is before the next release of Delphi 8 and Kylix 4.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Yes, I am using JEDI-SDL for my most recent project. Its a BeJeweled clone. The Sprite Engine in JEDI-SDL works very good and makes it easy to write 2D sprite based games. Also, there are several GUI control projects in the works that really show some progress.

Sounds good! I'll try downloading it sometime during next week - you may see another project in the "Your Projects" from me that uses SDL by the end of the month, if all goes according to plan!
    "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind."
    <br />-- Aristotle