Would you say that you understand Object Oriented Programming and the Object Pascal language as well as just Pascal? If you have a hard time with OOP then I can see how you might have a difficult time with my tutorial. It is written with the assumption that you understand basic object class structures. I don't go much further into it than that, but if you are having trouble with the OOP portion of the code, I can understand where I lost you in it.

I suppose I could start writing a couple of smaller beginner tutorials about the basics of objects and classes and their usage in a simple to learn way. At least that's how I learned it so at least from me I'd be able to explain it to you and others in a "plain" form of language. I'd offer the basics of SDL, but to be honest I think that our friends at 'Freepascal meets SDL' have that covered.

Your torpedo game sounds like a good game to start with. I assume that the game mechanics will be much like Battleship, am I right? If so, this is good! Start with something like that. My first games where Pong, Arkanoid and Tron.(or Snakes or whatever other names it's given)