Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 3D Gamecask Engine

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Such projects clearly shows that if we (or some of us) were able to unite our forces we would create something really impressive and finished.
    I've been trying to get people to do that for the past couple of years. I think a lot of engine devs simply enjoy learning and implementing new techniques. I'm sure that we'd all like our engines to be popular but it's second place to the joy you get when you've gotten a module working well. In this sence people probably don't want to work with others on an engine because things they were looking forward to working on would be done by somebody else.

This engine is in an advanced stage of development but unfortuantly it's based upon GLScene so in order to support the platforms that are stated, you're talking something in the order of ten times the amount of work that has already been conducted.

EDIT : that is to say that the design of the GLScene renderer is old fashioned and poorly suited to GL4 for example and would probably require some work to get working on .NET derived platforms (mono etc) and you may as well join the FPC team if you think you can get things up and running on the PSVita. There's no support for the cell processors modules either so at best you're stuck to using the PowerPC64 core which instantly puts your engine at a disadvantage compared to the C/C++ ones. I did a lot of work a year or two ago getting FPC PowerPC64 compiled stuff working on the PS3 (native, not in linux) and it's unfeasible for the most part as you have to export any functionality you need and link your stuff into a C wrapper. Debugging is a nightmare plus you need a very expensive Dev kit or a hacked console.

Obviously this isn't of concern if GLScene supports those platforms too but speaking as a dev that's spent the past few years writing a core GL3/4 engine, you're not going to see that any time soon
    Last edited by phibermon; 30-06-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

So, uh, what the hell ever became of this? The idea that this guy spent what seems to have been several years developing this amazing looking engine only to suddenly disappear off the face of the Earth is extremely bizarre. Anyone have any idea what happened with it? (Or with/to the author?)

Construction Machines 2014 apparently

Just found it on Steam, wow! So what, did he just quit because the game turned out so terrible?

Don't know. Terrible or not kudos for finishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    Don't know. Terrible or not kudos for finishing it.
    So I just bought the game for eleven dollars, and played it for two hours or so. Not to be rude but he does NOT deserve kudos for finishing it. It's an absolute nightmare. So bad that I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply the result of some kind of money laundering scheme or other financial shadiness. There's no way anyone who actually remotely wanted to make a good game would have possibly released it. You can't even change the resolution! Like, at all. The game is permanently fixed to this awful 4:3 aspect ratio that renders at what seems to be somewhere between 800x600 and 1024X768, and simply looks dire on a 1080p monitor. The supposedly advanced physics engine doesn't exist. All of the vehicles are ludicrously faster than they should be, which makes them all feel virtually identical, and it's essentially impossible not to crash into walls. There's also no way to customize the controls. And so on and so forth........ Now, interestingly, it appears the the underlying engine itself DOES actually exist, at least in some capacity. I ran ConstructionMachines.exe through IDR and it revealed a number of what seem to be addon units for GLScene.... "THGLSLPostSaturation", "THGLSLPostBloom", "THGLSLPostFilmGrain", e.t.c. So I'm left just being really curious as to whether the engine was actually good and was simply woefully underused in the game, or whether the engine itself was bad and the game reflected that in kind? We'll probably never know, unfortunately!
    Last edited by Akira13; 05-06-2017 at 03:12 AM.

No kudos then. If it's that terrible then maybe it was released only to finalize the deal with publisher? I know the name from local market and word is it puts quantity over quality

Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    Construction Machines 2014 apparently
    But they released Construction Machines 2016 -> https://store.steampowered.com/app/3...imulator_2016/

I think they are using the same engine, but don't post any news on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by turrican View Post
    But they released Construction Machines 2016 -> https://store.steampowered.com/app/3...imulator_2016/

I think they are using the same engine, but don't post any news on the forum.
    AFAIK that game is a new game developed by different company (PlayWay SA), not a sequel. Engine seems to be a different one too.

I'm sad that this ended that way. Engine looked promising. Fortunatelly we still have Castle Engine.
    No signature provided yet.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    The engine at its core was GLScene - so the rendering and scene management didn't differ bar some rendering extensions - I think the most impressive part of Gamecask was the integration of the engine with the real time engine tool.

Some people put too much emphasis on game/rendering engines. Capabilities are important but in terms of creating almost any game, the content creation/editing tools play a far larger role in terms of an end product. You're going to be able to work far faster and thus have more time to focus on gameplay.

Providing your project can live with the level of graphical capability an engine provides - then ease of development including available tools should be the primary factor when choosing an engine.

Nobody would use unity if it didn't have the unity editor - without that? unity is just a poorly performing .NET based engine for less experienced coders.

The people behind Gamecask put the greater emphasis on the tools and I think that's the best call - from what I saw it was very capable, certainly its physics integration - although it appears things are not entirely what they seemed :\
    Last edited by phibermon; 14-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567