Thread: make files for pascal?

make files for pascal?

Can pascal or lazarus do 'smart compiling' e.g. only compile the .pas files that have changed?
    Or do you have to create a make file

Quote Originally Posted by slenkar
    Can pascal or lazarus do 'smart compiling' e.g. only compile the .pas files that have changed?
    So many simple questions about Pascal... did you ever read some documentation, or try to investigate something by your self, before asking all this? Yes, Lazarus will build only changed pas files, if you use command "Build" instead of "Build all".

Quote Originally Posted by slenkar
    Or do you have to create a make file
    Why Makefile for Pascal must be different from any other Makefile? You can write Makefile for everything

documentation is boring

I searched for 'object-pascal' or free pascal tutorials and didnt find much, there are a lot of delphi tutorials but they didnt answer some basic questions I had

Blog Entries
    There is a ton of great information here about FPC and Lazarus. http://wiki.freepascal.org/ I'm sure that you will find many of your answers within these living documents. Much of it is written by users of the tools themselves so you'll find that they are not too dry, I'm sure.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

For Lazarus go into Project options:
    Project options -> Miscellaneous:
    Uncheck "Always build (even if nothing changed)"

But as the compiler is quite fast anyway in my opinion (talking of fraction of second with larger projects) and because of not compiling everything you may encounter unwanted problems - i'm using the "Always build".

thanks for the help
    Last edited by slenkar; 15-11-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: it says format has to be dereferenced but I tried ^ with no luck