View Poll Results: What bare essentials would you keep in a Light Edition of Delphi to make it Low Cost?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Compiler / Linker

44 97.78%
  • Code Editor (IDE)

41 91.11%
  • Visual Component Library (VCL)

28 62.22%
  • Object Model (non-VCL)

27 60.00%
  • Documentation

24 53.33%
  • Form Designer (RAD)

27 60.00%
  • Debugging Tools

41 91.11%
  • Database Components & Libraries

4 8.89%
  • Reports, Charts & Specialty Visual Components

2 4.44%
  • Web and Internet Communication Components

5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light Edition of Delphi at a Low Cost

The poll does not allow to answer this, but I would vote for a trimmed down version of the VCL. Say, for example, the basic visual components both in database and normal flavors.

Although i choose not for database components it should remain possible to add custom database components yourselves like sqlite.
    And i as said before the vcl should only include the basic components. But again it should be possible to add your own.

So a light delphi should be more like the delphi7 personal edition then the later turbo delphi's that did not allow to add custom/third party components.

In fact that with the new xe delphi that suposedly also inlcludes older versions of delphi i think embracadero should re-release delphi7 personal edition as a lighweight delphi for 'hobby'-programmers.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think that excessive amounts of components that are not normally used for small applications and games would be a waste on us here and for someone just learning to work with these tools. And I'm not too fond of limiting the adding new components and libraries, that sort of cripples innovation by the indie developer crowd who do all these neat things with the component system.

But I'd personally like Delphi to be more accessible to individuals who aren't heavy developers or are just simply basement code monkeys and just want to get into making shareware games and apps, much like id Software and Appogee were, and be able to get their toes just under the door to start out. This is my personal vision of the tool, sort of back to where we were with Turbo Pascal back in the DOS era. I think when software became 'big business' so did the tools and we have to get back to the basics for the young newcomers and the small guys who like to sit and do it for fun. That's where all the creativity comes from anyways, not a big stuffy office or cubicle.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Hmm... You're not plotting a deal with them are you? Like a special Pascal Gamer Delphi (Excuse the Pun [PGD]) or PGDD-SE (Pascal Game Development/Developpers' Delphi Special Edition)??

It would be interesting if we could...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    lol No nothing all that secretive behind the scenes. But this information and your ideas are useful in helping them to decide what they would need or not need in a version that they could sell to us at a price that we don't have to sell our vital organs on eBay to afford.

Though a Game Developer's Edition would be super cool. Pre-bundled SDL, OpenGL and DirectX headers, etc...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Everything but the last 3.

edit: Turbo versions were good (but not great), delphi need them back!
    Last edited by arthurprs; 18-11-2010 at 01:14 AM.
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

There actually is a pretty good light version already here which I used for a while:

---link removed---

Its based on the latest turbo delphi and has a large number of fixes and speedups wrapped in a small 80 mb package. Not sure if this is legal though.
    Last edited by WILL; 19-11-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Link removed so as not to support piracy...

I am afraid the only legal versions are the one you need register at the embarcadero site to enable them.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Blog Entries

Question

I wasn't expecting pirated software to come out of this poll, but hey there we are I guess.

Can anyone, who has a full copy of the current Delphi, tell us what sorts of components could be stripped away should Embarcadero decide to include the RAD portion of the lighter Delphi? I think this information would be highly useful as well.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    (bump) I know not everyone has voted on this yet.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast