View Poll Results: What bare essentials would you keep in a Light Edition of Delphi to make it Low Cost?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Compiler / Linker

44 97.78%
  • Code Editor (IDE)

41 91.11%
  • Visual Component Library (VCL)

28 62.22%
  • Object Model (non-VCL)

27 60.00%
  • Documentation

24 53.33%
  • Form Designer (RAD)

27 60.00%
  • Debugging Tools

41 91.11%
  • Database Components & Libraries

4 8.89%
  • Reports, Charts & Specialty Visual Components

2 4.44%
  • Web and Internet Communication Components

5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Light Edition of Delphi at a Low Cost

My programmer carrier started with Turbo Pascal for DOS, before that I learned 6502 ASM and Basic, as a hobbist programmer in the venerable Commodore 64, then I grow up learning C and used it on some classes when going to Technical Institute. When I met Pascal, felt in love. Then Delphi arrives and I married it. Even if I had some affairs with C/C++, Clipper, Visual Basic, Power Builder, Cobol or RPG/400, my love for Delphi is very deep. Here in Peru is very rare to found a Delphi programmer, many people have sold their soul to Visual Basic, mainly because it's easier to learn and very cheap compared with Delphi. There was a time when Delphi had a place in the classroom, but the lack of promotion and the higher price makes it unaffordable for the beginer.

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't mind reignighting interest in this poll for specific reasons. Any more people what to have some input on this?

My plan is to report the findings on this poll to the decision-makers at Embarcadero in the very near future. I would really help if all those who have at least some vested stake or interest in Delphi's future to vote what you feel you ACTUALLY need from this set of tools. Even if you don't use them right now!

A conversation with real facts about what a game developer would need from Delphi will go a long way in talks with EMBT. (Price issues aside!) The community knows my track record of breaking through the veil. So my goal when starting this poll was to gather some real facts to work with not a handful of my own personal oppinion.

So if you haven't voted on this poll, please do so. Every person counts esp. the new members who are active!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I don't think I have much to add at this point. My issues with Delphi are with Embarcadero as a company, and not something that really can be addressed through this kind of avenue. The price issue, though you discount it, is a symptom of a much more significant set of problems. It is why I really don't ever see myself purchasing Delphi for any future development projects, but instead throwing all my efforts behind Lazarus/FPC, including improving them far beyond anything Embarcadero can offer with Delphi. It is not an issue of free/open source vs commercial/closed source, but just a general attitude and bias towards certain swaths of developers, as well as questionable (bordering on fraudulent) business practices.

It would be easiest for them just "remake" the old Turbo Series and release it as it was, maybe with newer compiler.
    They are owners of them, why they hide good "old" Turbo's like Turbo Delphi, Turbo C++ Builder etc?

Just take them from the shelf and release to community for low cost or free.
    You dont have to code anything.

Think about this Embarcadero. Otherwise Delphi will die, as many programmers talk about this.
    I love Delphi and would like to have newer version for very low cost or free than Delphi 7 Personal.

Personally i dont care about multiplatform, ok maybe developing for Android, but this will cost too much for me to buy.
    I we leave that (multiplatform) aside and only talk about games and usual apps then...

For me there are lots of things needed, IDE, debugger, VCL, form designer, debugger, docs are not so important because they are online, but D7 help files would be good.
    And possibility to use / install third party components. Not like in Turbo Delphi, you cant install them.
    Last edited by hwnd; 29-07-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I vowed to stop trying with them after the whole EULA thing. That was the straw that did it. If it wasn't for my friend Jim reaching out to me this thread would have continued collecting dust.

Free just isn't going to happen. It's a waste of energy to hold onto that idea. It's been talked about between myself and David I. and he pretty much told me that it'll never happen and that their stance is that they cannot do it.

A stripped down version of Delphi would work if they kept to a low cost model and sold it as a locally compiled multi-platform solution, one product per platform. Then you compile your game projects for multiple platform just like you do on Lazarus.

If the cost were to sit somewhere around $50 - $100, maybe even $150, I could see it working and I could even budget a game project on those numbers.

The value would be in familiar language features and tool environment and they would need to focus on the core of the product and less on the frills and fancy business components. (Probably why the Delphi compiler's stability and performance has suffered for so long.)

VCL and all of that stuff could be a nice to have, but if you are a serious game developer it's not important and you would have or make your own tools anyways.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234