Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: News

Nice work as always dude

ZenGL 0.3.9

Changelog:
    - [Android]fixed problem with 30fps rendering on Nexus and probably other Tegra-based devices
    - [Android]added libGLU.so, now triangulation should work
    - fixed pengine2d_DelEmitter(removing last emitter)
    - fixed col2d_PointInTriangle(random result in some cases)
    - fixed joy_Init(amount of joysticks never decreases)
    - fixed SND_INFO_DURATION for sounds(always returned 0)

download

Great work man! The ability of ZenGL to run in several platforms is a killer feature nowadays!

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Keep up the good work! it's fantastic that you've got IOS and Android supported to a usable level but I don't understand why you bothered to support Direct3D, that's a whole lot of work for nothing. PC's you'd just use GL anyway and microsoft are never going to allow a game on any xbox that wasn't written using their API.

Do you support GL 3.2+ across windows, OSX and Linux? if so on OSX, have you had any problems with uniform buffers? They're utterly broken for me, struggled for ages to try and get them working. I'm on a hackintosh so I don't know if it's due to that (even thou my Nvidia card is one that ships with some macs) or if it's just OSX in general. I've found a few references in forums to people having similar issues, but again they might also be on hackintoshes, they don't say, so I can't find a common denominator.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

but I don't understand why you bothered to support Direct3D
    Because commercial projects on Windows should use it, if you want to avoid a lot of problems with crappy drivers and stupid users without vendor drivers at all(sometimes they have only standard drivers provided by Windows)

Do you support GL 3.2+ across windows, OSX and Linux?
    ZenGL is 2D oriented, so I don't use so progressive API.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Ahh yes very good point, there's many older devices+drivers that only support Direct3D properly, S3 chips for example.

But the same is now true if you don't use GL 3.2, it's actually the case that GL1 and GL2 legacy functions are increasingly being implemented in the drivers to use the DX11/GL4.x programming pipelines. As a result there's many instances where GL1/2 support is becoming unstable and even some legacy functionality (such as display lists) is not supported directly in hardware. The fixed pipelines in cards have long since gone and are emulated at the driver level. Nvidia tend to be really good with not breaking old things, ATI tend to break somthing in every driver release.

Intels latest line of chips are a good example, dramatically slower smooth line/point rasterization and will switch to software if you try to use line stippling (at least in my tests of 1 1/2 years ago). Any depreciated functionality could potentially suffer the same fate.

Remember they're focusing on game support and games that use GL1.x and GL2.x tend to be a lot less demanding on the card and thus they don't really care about optimizing that much.

So it's not a case of only switching if you need the new functionality, you should concider supporting just for performance/stability concerns with the same justification you rightly use for Direct3D.
    Last edited by phibermon; 02-04-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

I was going through source code a little.. Is ZenGL fully based on rendering with glBegin() etc "client" calls?

Is ZenGL fully based on rendering with glBegin() etc "client" calls?
    For 2D glBegin/glEnd is faster than glDrawArrays, because of no need in actions with memory for preparing buffer.

ZenGL 0.3.10

Changelog:
    - [Direct3D9]now scissor_* functions use SetScissorRect and D3DRS_SCISSORTESTENABLE
    - [Direct3D]fixed saving texture data when pass texture to rtarget_Add
    - fixed some problems with scissor_* functions when using render targets
    - fixed some range check errors in zgl_particles_2d unit
    - fixed "memory leaks" in zgl_resources unit(problem with heaptrc)
    - fixed range check errors zglChipmunk unit(replaced "array of" with correct alternative)
    - now SND_STATE_TIME and SND_STATE_PERCENT can be used with snd_Get for sounds

download

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    ZenGL 0.3.10

Changelog:
    - [Direct3D9]now scissor_* functions use SetScissorRect and D3DRS_SCISSORTESTENABLE
    - [Direct3D]fixed saving texture data when pass texture to rtarget_Add
    - fixed some problems with scissor_* functions when using render targets
    - fixed some range check errors in zgl_particles_2d unit
    - fixed "memory leaks" in zgl_resources unit(problem with heaptrc)
    - fixed range check errors zglChipmunk unit(replaced "array of" with correct alternative)
    - now SND_STATE_TIME and SND_STATE_PERCENT can be used with snd_Get for sounds

download
    Nice work. This is the way: continuous development and frequent releases.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast