Thread: Linking Issues on MacOS X 10.6.5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Mac os is a little like linux isnt it? Maybe my post here may be of some use to you: http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...ghlight=ubuntu

i'm not sure if this helped beyond a hint, but stil...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Thanks for the supporting posts. At least I know now that I'm not spamming

Perhaps, if we figured out how to set up a working SDL + FPC environment on MacOS in a way which works on all recent Macs, we could write an article about it.

Additionally, it may be important to summarize how to distribute a developed game to the end users -- because I fear that simply installing SDL Frameworks on the end user machine may not be enough (here I would need information, too, but later, when I again successfully linked my game...)

@code_glitch: Well, I wish it was as easy as with Linux. On Mac, first of all you have to decide if you want to use the standard Unix/Linux way of having the SDL libraries in a standard directory like /usr/local/lib, OR if you want to have the Mac way of having the SDL libraries as a Framework in /Library/Frameworks . Getting everything to work on Linux was very easy, I simply installed SDL, SDL_image and the related development packages, and simply could call fpc fprl.pp, without any special parameters. On Mac OS, as shown in the previous posts, its all a mess, and nothing works currently, regardless if I use the Unix/Linux way or the Mac way.

@WILL: PM.

Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Thanks, JSoftware, but I know this page. The setup described above was done after reading that page ...

sdl.pas says it does this:
    Code:
      SDLLibName = 'libSDL-1.2.0.dylib';
      {$linklib libSDL-1.2.0}
      {$linklib SDLmain}
      {$linkframework Cocoa}
      {$PASCALMAINNAME SDL_main}
    I don't know enough about the framework/library business to say what that means. Atleast it'll try to link to libSDL-1.2.0. Try to see if you can find some libSDL-x file somewhere and see if it uses some other version number. 1.2.0 should be the major revision number they use, but I could be wrong

This was an interesting remark. The folder SDL.framework contains one 1,4 MB sized binary file, simply called SDL. Nowhere on my system is a file or a symlink called libSDL-1.2.0.dylib .

Creating a symlink with that name improves nothing.

Is there a libSDL-*.dylib?