The problem is compiling SDL programs, for now. I did this once, some days ago, but then stupidly lost my whole setup and now don't remember how it was.

I then had several attempts, all with the SDL units provided by FPC (the JEDI-SDL units which I use on Windows and Linux never gave me any positive results on Mac), plus the SDLmain library which is found in the "devel-lite" folder of the SDL Mac Download. This "SDLmain" is required for developing, too.

1) The Frameworks only. The Frameworks are, I think, always needed on Mac, because in these are both the runtime and the development headers.

2) Frameworks + the classic Unix/Linux way: I compiled SDL from source, which lead to several libs with correct names in /usr/local/lib. The compiler found the libs, but they somehow did not contain the correct functions expected by the SDL units, and FPC complained about it.

3) Ports: Ports are similar to a package manager on Linux, but usually install everything in /opt/var/... This gave me the same negative result as 2)

According to the FreePascal wiki, with FPC 2.2.2 and 2.4.2, the 1st variant should be sufficient. But somehow ...