Thread: Lazarus adventure game concept study- fully playable

Lazarus adventure game concept study- fully playable

I have recently completed a simple but fully playable, non-trivial, adventure game. It can be downloaded from:

http://jonax.se/beta%202/

It's also zero-violence, zero dexterity and relies on a tiny amount of logic. Feedback is of course always welcome.

It's my first Lazarus game. I used to program in Delphi but had to quit Delphi after getting the new 64-bit Windows 7. The installer is the excellent innoSetup.

Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Hey this is great. Reminds me of the old adventure games I used to play on the Apple II in my grade school days. Those games had such a neat feel to them. Nice work.

Do you plan on enhancing it late in the future? And also what do you use for the graphics, just GDI or is there some other component?

If it's just plain Lazarus then I think I can make a Mac OS X build for you as long as there isn't any bugs. Unfortunately Lazarus doesn't debug properly on Mac yet.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

thanks for the sharing Jonax !
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/

plain Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Hey this is great. Reminds me of the old adventure games I used to play on the Apple II in my grade school days. Those games had such a neat feel to them. Nice work.

Do you plan on enhancing it late in the future? And also what do you use for the graphics, just GDI or is there some other component?

If it's just plain Lazarus then I think I can make a Mac OS X build for you as long as there isn't any bugs. Unfortunately Lazarus doesn't debug properly on Mac yet.
    Thanx Will. Quite a retro feeling, isn't it. I do have some ideas of enhancing it later.
    The coding is just plain Lazarus and graphics is done with canvas.copyrect. E.g.

ImgBuffer.Canvas.CopyRect(Rect(0, 0, imgBuffer.Width, imgBuffer.Height),
    ImgOriginal.Canvas, Rect(0, 0, ImgOriginal.Width, ImgOriginal.Height));

It would be nice (and interesting) if you'd take the time to try to compile a Mac version.

Jonax

Glad you like the game . I do have some plans to enhance it in the future. For major improvements it should be re-coded from scratch I guess but I will see how much can be done with the existing code. The code is really plain vanilla Lazarus. The graphics is done with just canvas.copyrect. It would be nice if you tried to compile it for Mac though of course I can't promise it's bug free.

I managed to expand the game, adding some complexity. I assume there's a fair level of challenge now.

A nice discovery in the Lazarus forum was the ability to shrink the size of the exe. In my case the installer went from 2 to 1 MB and the full exe from 12 to 5 MB (roughly).

The standard Lazarus compiler options gives quite large exes. Much larger than the old Delphi 3 did. Don't know about newer Delphi versions.

The latest version is available from:

http://jonax.se/beta%202/