Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Three Bobs - Game for Windows, Linux and iPhone

Everything looks great, graphics, music, shadows, etc..

Nice work
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Quote Originally Posted by arthurprs View Post
    Everything looks great, graphics, music, shadows, etc..

Nice work
    Thanks!

This game was just released on iTunes!
    For anyone interested in buying it, here is the link
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sushi...441003304?mt=8

I'm really glad that another Pascal game has been released for iOS devices.
    I'm using an iPod Touch 4 by the way. The game does not seem to have Retina display support.

But I have to say I had some trouble with the game: The menu buttons (in the main menu and level select menu) only work if I click on the text and not the buttons itself. Especially with the main menu this is kind of hard as the text moves quite fast.
    Also I was expecting the controls to work the way around (swipe down to move the player down instead of swipe down to move the player up), which let me to believe that the game was broken because the tutorial just said along the lines: "Just move your finger around to move your blob". Also if the player reached a "wall" or any boundary of other kind, swiping in the direction of the boundary moves the player in the other axis. That is a bit off-putting especially when I need to grab an item in smaller spaces and my player blob is unnecessarily moving around. It also seems that not all of my swipes are registered.

EDIT: If you would add an option to invert the controls, that would really be helpful in my opinion.
    Last edited by Stoney; 08-06-2011 at 03:14 PM.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Hi Stoney, thanks about telling your first experience with the game!
    I guess the way the input works is really strange, actually it is not about swipes, but you touch the character and the drag the screen around in the direction you want to move.
    I really need to find a way to improve the controls, as currently it certaintly one of the aspects of the game that still needs polishing, but I will address that in a future update.
    Also could you tell me about Retina support? I have heard that term before, but I don't really know how that works.

Hi! Congrats for releasing your game!

I noticed that it was translated to Portugal's Portuguese. If you want, I can help you with a translation to Brazil's Portuguese. Portugal's Portuguese is really strange to us here!

It still does not supports iPad? I have downloaded it to my iPad2 and it keeps running with the iPhone resolution... It's a 3D game, I think it would be not hard to add 1024x768 support to it.

Quote Originally Posted by wagenheimer View Post
    Hi! Congrats for releasing your game!

I noticed that it was translated to Portugal's Portuguese. If you want, I can help you with a translation to Brazil's Portuguese. Portugal's Portuguese is really strange to us here!
    Thanks, and sure, I'm going to add more languages in the next update. I think I have your email, were you one of the beta testers at testflight?

Quote Originally Posted by wagenheimer View Post
    It still does not supports iPad? I have downloaded it to my iPad2 and it keeps running with the iPhone resolution... It's a 3D game, I think it would be not hard to add 1024x768 support to it.
    Probably it is easy, the problem is that I don't have an iPad yet, so I can't test it for now, maybe if I can get hands on one, I will include support in a update.

Quote Originally Posted by Relfos View Post
    I guess the way the input works is really strange, actually it is not about swipes, but you touch the character and the drag the screen around in the direction you want to move.
    Thanks. Dragging works really well, but I honestly I couldn't tell before your post that you needed to drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Relfos View Post
    Also could you tell me about Retina support? I have heard that term before, but I don't really know how that works.
    iPhone 3GS and higher (also corresponding iPod devices) have a resolution of 960x640 pixels instead of 480x320 pixels. (Well, the way its handled internally is that the resolution is the same, Apple just introduced a scale parameter which is set to 2.0 on Retina devices and 1.0 on older devices. That way the application can be designed for both Retina and older devices and higher resolution textures can be loaded on Retina devices.)
    Apps which don't support the higher resolution are just simply scaled and look a bit washed-out.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Blog Entries
    Just got it for my iPad and I really like the game mechanics. Very innovative. Kind of like a cross between Eggerland and The Lost Vikings.

I do have some testing advice for you too though:

• Lots of little artifacts along the borders of your textures. Will need to clean those up or your players will have fits.
    • Controls are the one thing holding you back. I have to touch and hold my finger down for 1 or 2 seconds to get each guy to move, which is really annoying after a while. I'd rather a D-pad to use instead. Maybe add a toggle for controls in settings?
    • Swiping is not very accurate either. Though it is sometimes faster, I have to do it each time I move 1 space which is also very annoying after a while or when it glitches and I go the wrong way.
    • When I click on buttons for options, you are making me click on the actual text, this is hard to do when it's moving and may make people think your UI is unresponsive. Better to use the whole button graphic instead. It'll make for an easier UI too.

IMG_0028.jpg
    Screenshot showing artifacts on my iPad
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Thanks for your advice, I really want to improve those small things that can make a huge difference. Sadly that texture bug still happens sometimes, I have a function that takes lots of small textures and stitches them together, but sometimes it introduces those strange borders. I will try to fix it soon.
    More people also asked for a on-screen pad to control the characters, I'll add one.

And yes, you found one of my inspirations, Lost Vikings!
    I did not know about Eggerland though, but from what I've seen, it also seems to have similar concepts

Hi again!
    Sushi Quest is now also available for Windows, Mac and Linux on Indievania!
    Here's the link:
    http://beta.indievania.com/games/sushi-quest

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast