Thread: GGJ 2011: Mr. Fire Takes A Walk

GGJ 2011: Mr. Fire Takes A Walk

For those of you who don't know what the Global Game Jam is, it is a contest similar to Ludum Dare where you have 48 hours to complete a game.

Things that differ from Ludum Dare:
    - Teams are allowed and encouraged
    - The Global Game Jam is real-life meetup at different locations all over the world

The theme this time was Extinction.

Our team consisted of five member of which I was the only one with significant coding skills finally settled on a simple idea after having spent about 12 hours on a complete different concept. But no worries though, I am quite happy with the result.

This is the premise: You control Mr. Fire and have to burn crates to stay alive. Avoid iron crates, those are bad for your health.

Click here to view the game project site

I used my own Elysion Engine (which is it what I'm using for all my Pascal game projects) and builds for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X are being provided.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Blog Entries
    Nice game, and it made my day: you are the first person I think ever to provide a BINARY for linux. Thank you sooo much. Oh, and yes, very nice game indeed. I especially like the concept - the only part I can never come up with
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    Looks interesting. I'd love a video showing gameplay, but since you've also made a Mac OS X version, I'll give it a run myself anyhow.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to make a post-compo version for the Mac App Store and Intel AppUp Store very soon. Any ideas on how to improve the gameplay mechanics?

The visual indicator for the life of the flame is the opacity of the flame. I get why that's confusing though. At first we wanted to adjust the size of the flame depending on the flame's life but scaling wouldn't work with the pixel collision.

There is no gameplay trailer as of yet, but there is a funny trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk09DENWay4 (unfortunately without sound)
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Interesting idea I did download but the program didn't run on my system. Well I have 64-bit windows and you mentioned that was not yet supported, I think.