Thread: Sound - most compatible sound library

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sound - most compatible sound library

Hi

For the first time I have come across incompatibility between hardware and the sound libraries I am using. I have used omega and danjetx sound components for many years, both are based on directx 8. However, I am finding that Windows 7 64 bit is having issues with the was directx 8 sound functions. It seems that the drivers for window s7 64 bit don't always work nicely with sound components I am using.

So the question is what set of components or libraries would you suggest I use? I have done some searches but nothing jumps out so I am hoping some of you have experience that you would be willing to share.

Most of my sounds files are simple wav or sometimes mp3.

The system needs to be easy to implement and highly compatible with older and newer hardware. I would much appreciate suggestions. Fancy stuff like sound effects and 3d positioning are not really high on my priority list. I need something that will serve me well for the next 5 years or so.

ps: I am a bit wary of one-man-developed components as they tend to be dropped by the author after certain amount of time. I have looked at audorra but I can't decide if it is my best option.
    Last edited by czar; 05-02-2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling mistake ;)
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg