Thread: Retrogame #1 -- Paku Paku

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The only words is wow and awesome... Keep it going.
    Theory is - when you know everything but nothing works.
    Practice is - when all works, but you don't know why.
    We combine theory and practice - nothing works and nobody knows why

As the edit to the first post says, version 1.6 released, this time adding MT-32 and other GM device support. The MIDI sound is still a bit rough, and if the synth you send to doesn't support a 24 semitone pitch-bender range it's outright disastrous, but still shows a lot of promise.

Keeping the executable size under control proved interesting, I never realized Turbo Pascal's WRITE/WRITELN commands were so wasteful on memory... but I'm probably one of the few people trying to keep a 128k machine with DOS 3.2 as a viable minimum target.

Biggest under-the-hood change came from my having various lists now run as pointers to objects instead.

Lazy Game Reviews put out a youtube video about it last week too... where he mentions the CMS/Game Blaster support not working on his blaster 1.5 -- I think I tracked down that bug to my using word-width writes to handle register/data pairings, and not sending the 'enable chip' bit set after each note out... worked on a 1.0, but not a 1.5 and not on 286/higher. I think the narrower bus on the 8088 is what was making the word-width port outputs function properly. (since high/+1 goes first).
    The accessibility of a website from time to time must be refreshed with the blood of designers and owners. It is its natural manure