Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A* pathfinding example !

A* pathfinding example !

Quote Originally Posted by Delfi
    Now this is embarrasing, i forgot to include actual astar.pas into the rar file, i added it now ops:
    I don't suppose you could include a .zip version as well for download?
    I don't have WinRAR on my machine and I wanted to look at it (I can't download WinRAR at the moment).

cheers,
    Paul.

A* pathfinding example !

can't winzip open rars? winrar is free aniway..
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

A* pathfinding example !

Quote Originally Posted by Delfi
    can't winzip open rars? winrar is free aniway..
    WinZIP can open WinRAR files, but only by using WinRAR itself...

I have downloaded WinRAR...
    cheers,
    Paul.

A* pathfinding example !

Hi!

I am just trying to add your AStar unit to my current 3D game project 'The Innominate'.

Thanks for your class and sample!

I'll sure get back here as soon as I run into first problems.

I understand this is done with a list of TPoints from the Start to the End, right?

I want to use this for 3D. So is there the possibility to really only store the next point I need without a block between it so I can always use the shortest way between the points? Understandable? Right now it only works in 45¬?, would be cool if it would work in 3D with shortest distance (and free angle) between the waypoint...

P.S.: Some problems with the sample:
    So Astar.Grid stores the grid where I can set my blocks, right?
    Astar.Grid[x,y]=0 means no block, Astar.Grid[x,y]=-1 means block right? What happens if I set 255 f.E.?
    Astar.Path(i) is the next waypoint? Can I delete it after I reached it to get access to the next waypoint or what is the best way to step through them?

Firle

A* pathfinding example !

Quote Originally Posted by Firlefanz
    Hi!

I am just trying to add your AStar unit to my current 3D game project 'The Innominate'.

Thanks for your class and sample!

I'll sure get back here as soon as I run into first problems.

I understand this is done with a list of TPoints from the Start to the End, right?

I want to use this for 3D. So is there the possibility to really only store the next point I need without a block between it so I can always use the shortest way between the points? Understandable? Right now it only works in 45¬?, would be cool if it would work in 3D with shortest distance (and free angle) between the waypoint...

P.S.: Some problems with the sample:
    So Astar.Grid stores the grid where I can set my blocks, right?
    Astar.Grid[x,y]=0 means no block, Astar.Grid[x,y]=-1 means block right? What happens if I set 255 f.E.?
    Astar.Path(i) is the next waypoint? Can I delete it after I reached it to get access to the next waypoint or what is the best way to step through them?

Firle
    well, you can use any type of structures you want, in the callback, you will be asked to do your own processing and tell pathfinder if the area is accesible from previous point. it works with 90¬? and 45¬? angles, just pass it right parameter.

A* pathfinding example !

Okay, 45¬? and 90¬? of course, understood.

But it would be cool to have a feature that points directly beneath the previous point are not in list, only points where I have to walk around a block.

So I can tell my unit to move with the angle that is lying between this point and the next point to have angles other than only 45¬? and so on.

Understood or should I make a drawing?

And I didn't quite get the callback stuff, I will look at it again, thanks.

Firle

A* pathfinding example !

To make it clear:

I don't wanna use 45¬? only, if possible.

I don't want all points like this:

I only want the points I need so I can set my angle to next point until I am there:

Is this possible somehow? Or is there an Other Sample / Algo
    to do so?

Thanks,
    Firle

Blog Entries

A* pathfinding example !

I had a great chapter on A* in a book I bought 'AI for Game Developers'.

Not wanting to step on toes, but I'll see if I can retell it in a seperate thread. It was amazingly clear to me the way he did it. It's not the only way to do A*, but it's certanly an easy way to learn it for the first time. (It used heavy illustrations aswell.)

If it is well received then I'll write up an article for PGD.

EDIT: Wow, I just looked back to the first post... this is an OLD thread. No toe stepping at this point then I guess huh?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

A* pathfinding example !

Firlefanz: you can't do that, path finders don't do that, you must do that in your engine, with raycasting the points, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    I had a great chapter on A* in a book I bought 'AI for Game Developers'.

Not wanting to step on toes, but I'll see if I can retell it in a seperate thread. It was amazingly clear to me the way he did it. It's not the only way to do A*, but it's certanly an easy way to learn it for the first time. (It used heavy illustrations aswell.)

If it is well received then I'll write up an article for PGD.

EDIT: Wow, I just looked back to the first post... this is an OLD thread. No toe stepping at this point then I guess huh?
    At least it is getting updates and posts aniway, any article about A* be great!

A* pathfinding example !

Hmmm. Does not sound very satisfiying, now I am at the beginning again. But thanks for the info. Any other pathfinding samples for Delphi around?

Thanks,
    Firle

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast