Thread: PlayMaker

PlayMaker

Hello, I wish to create new multi-platform software for creating games. I will call it PlayMaker (if you have better name post here). This will something between Game Maker and The Games Factory. Project will be wrote in Lazarus using SDL and ACS (runtime). Design-time will be TImage based, because this is simple to apply and designer don't need a good quality (or speed), that game has. I don't have a single code line yet, because I must learn SDL, or find some programmers who want write runtime for free, because this will be published as GPL and I have no money to pay.
    In this thread I will post any project progress. Sourceforge page will be created when I will have beta release and/or source.

Re: PlayMaker

Good luck man. I'll keep an eye on this for sure. SDL isn't that difficult, it might be a bit confusing some times. But you'll manage.

GPL is a good license, but it might keep people away who wants to use your program for commercial products. The LGPL or MPL might be better.

If you need any help on SDL or something, just send me a PM or e-mail.

Shweet man...

I had consult with some lawyers and they told me, that games itself can be closed, even with GPL. Only designer and runtime code will be open, the runtime will only play instructions in project file. So games won't have any CODE of PlayMaker itself, only instructions to do.

Mind you, thats true... Anything made with the program is the sole property of the developer. My bad... hehe.

Then can you me help with sdl coding for runtime? Because I found only few tutorials, and there was for c++? I will do designer and file format part. (and basic runtime coding, that I can do)

I will help you with SDL. It took me a while to get used to at first as well, making a bunch of little demos for myself.

Please note that I'm developing an open source game development framework from SDL. It's hosted on SF.net, and I will be happy to bits of my code, if you need any.

Take a look at PJPlib and it's CVS and see what I've done so far with JEDI-SDL.

How is this project of yours moving along

For now I stuck in thinking about file format. I must create whole structure of the project file, so you know. It's a bit hard...