Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Top Down City

Blog Entries

Top Down City

<strike>X-COM,</strike>(oops, I guess that one is just single player :?) AoE3, AoW1-3, Diablo 1&2...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Top Down City

Just NO.

And seriously, this isn't helping anyone, it is distracting me from doing things that this game really needs (like a new car physics module). if anyone wants a random map generator he can build one himself, ok?
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Blog Entries

Top Down City

Saw the latest video, it was pretty nice. car bump and scrape noises and all.

Well if others have an interest would you release the map file specs? Might help promote your game to have a 3rd party Map Editor around.

So to get more on topic of what you're doing for the game, whats left to do?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Top Down City

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Saw the latest video, it was pretty nice. car bump and scrape noises and all.
    Yeah, it drives, and audio, particle effects work, but the car itself drives and steers like a sponge

Well if others have an interest would you release the map file specs? Might help promote your game to have a 3rd party Map Editor around.
    Specs are no problem at all, but i even got a excellent map editor already, and i could let people build sort of plugins for it - it would make things much easier and error-proof.

So to get more on topic of what you're doing for the game, whats left to do?
    particle system is almost golden, actor state machine still need few more states, gui is gold, with only few minor things to add, car dynamics need to be completely replaced for some enjoyable driving, and the rendering of sprites has to be changed to be much faster (got it all planned), there is also some graphics media that i need to add or replace, such as new, better, more detailed with more frames renders of actor animations, missing particle effects, like smoke, perhaps better fire sprites...

Basically, this topic here is what should be used for car dynamics in TDC, but i just simply cannot get the translated code to work properly (need your help people! ):
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...?p=33022#33022

As soon as that is done, and i implement cars driving on the roads, i'm releasing a gameplay demo, and then go implementing networking.

Top Down City

With posting this, i am expressing an extreme frustration, as up to now, i got almost no help whatsoever, i searched for the whole friggin web, it's impossible for me to get any serious reliable help on this project, it's like if the whole web has conspired against me.

Has anybody else had the same problem? how did you solve it? :/

p.s. that doesn't mean i'm giving up or something.. i'm still looking for people to help me with the project.

Blog Entries

Top Down City

Hey Delfi,

I think I've been there and back again myself. Taking a brief look back at my list; Cyber-Crisis, Subject 33, my old SkyBlast Engine game, etc... as examples. Finding help is hard.

I've made a post sort of in reflection of your situation along with my own and a few others on the site. I hope you find something useful in it: thread
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Top Down City

HELP ME FINISH THIS PROJECT!!! with added extra bounty:

http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...?p=36103#36103

Blog Entries

Top Down City

Why don't you try this;

1) Give a break down of all the remaining features/tasks left to complete your game.

2) Talk a little bit more about the inner-workings of the engine and what challenges you are facing still. If it's interesting someone might pitch in.

3) Make a full/proper job proposal in a post so that we can see that you are serious and that by working on your project we can expect things to progress in a somewhat organized manner.

4) Do a small tour around other forums with a general presentation of your game and above proposals.

I guarantee you'll get more A) feedback, B) interest in helping, and C) results than simply shouting out 'Help me!'.

Put forth the effort in organization and presentation outside of the actual game development it's self and you'll get about 10-25% of that back. This is the games scene/industry my friend.

Oh and if you are planning on selling, etc... a design doc could help too.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Top Down City

Why don't you try this;

1) Give a break down of all the remaining features/tasks left to complete your game.
    that's easy:
    - car dynamics
    - netcode
    - porting code

2) Talk a little bit more about the inner-workings of the engine and what challenges you are facing still. If it's interesting someone might pitch in.
    i'm going to setup a proper website soon and put up a developer's log, the developer's log goes back into 2003 or something, but was never public.

3) Make a full/proper job proposal in a post so that we can see that you are serious and that by working on your project we can expect things to progress in a somewhat organized manner.
    Did that several times on gamedev.net, in old days even on devimg, flipcode.. and guess how much help did i find

4) Do a small tour around other forums with a general presentation of your game and above proposals.
    did that already too, on several forums and websites (includes some old skool gta forums, gaming universe, gamedev, flipcode, devimg, etc..)

I guarantee you'll get more A) feedback, B) interest in helping, and C) results than simply shouting out 'Help me!'.
    well, it's all described in the other topic.

Put forth the effort in organization and presentation outside of the actual game development it's self and you'll get about 10-25% of that back. This is the games scene/industry my friend.
    i have no real team, so there isn't much organization going on. but i'm planning to set up a website in near future.

Blog Entries

Top Down City

Quote Originally Posted by Delfi
    Why don't you try this;

that's easy:
    - car dynamics
    - netcode
    - porting code
    ok... now break that down further. This just makes me think, "oh ok" and not much thought goes into it. These by themselves only tell me there will be some car physics, networking and cross-platform code needed.

How about something more like this:

Car dynamics:
    - simulate bumpping off curbs
    - proper drag/drift effects
    - simulate different alternator and gear configurations
    - simulate air brake on buses
    - etc...

Net code:
    - server-host lobby
    - multi-player syncronization
    - online highscore system
    - etc...

OS porting:
    - Linux
    - Mac OS X
    - GP2X
    - BeOS
    - XBox 360
    - WiiWare
    - etc...

It doesn't have to be complete, but this gives us some idea of what you are going to be doing and if we know how to do this or what we can look up to get things started if we were interested.

Flesh out a full 'roadmap' for the project even. Diagrams and examples of what you want will improve your proposal too.

i'm going to setup a proper website soon and put up a developer's log, the developer's log goes back into 2003 or something, but was never public.
    Ok great, this will help. It's a definite step forward. It might be a good idea to include a set of forums for players to post bug reports suggestions. [size=9px](so that they are NOT doing this in every other forum, plus you can also ignore them until you feel like taking them in. )[/size]

A section showing videos (from your YouTube account) and screenshots, preaching to the choir here, but it would be a BIG vacuum for attracting a larger user-base.

In addition to this reposting screenies and your videos [size=9px](when you can --GameDev.net doesn't allow YouTube videos in their posts for whatever reason. boo GameDev! )[/size] help, but this stuff is more for the players than developers. But I guess you can get those too.

Did that several times on gamedev.net, in old days even on devimg, flipcode.. and guess how much help did i find
    I'd like to see these FULL proposals. I'm betting there are a few points we could improve upon. Presentation is key and it's also the most challenging thing to do effectively. I've read/listened to stories of how some of the most successful of indie companies have been rejected so many times based on good proposals alone.

Remember what I said in my last post 10-25% and thats not an exact figure, but more of a ballpark figure. So you can get way less or way more. (if your lucky) But you're more likely to get less. Sorry. :?

i have no real team, so there isn't much organization going on. but i'm planning to set up a website in near future.
    Not having a team is no reason to not be organized yourself. At least in one way or another. In fact I'd dare say it's reason enough to be MORE organized than if you did have a team. Not that you can be completely disorganized at all, but still.

If you are working alone, it is easy to get messy, but you have to fight that back every so often. Regroup and reorganize your plans into a form that suits your current situation.

My guess from what I've read of your thread here [size=9px](and other places--yes I've been following your game's progress a bit)[/size] is that you've done a great job so far on your own, you have a working game engine with a lot of features and functionality, but your at the point where it is starting to drag into overtime and there are some things that you would like to do to finish it off, but are a little weak in the knowledge department on. How's my aim?

What I would do myself, because I've basically been 'there' with one of my current projects, is regroup. Look at what you want to have in your end product. Write stuff down and create a detailed plan. Much like how I did above, but elaborate a bit more if you can. And see what exactly you need as far as manpower, time and the rest based on what you know now form the start of the project. Be realistic and honest about your estimates and leave a bit of breathing room too.

Once you have that done. Redo your proposal and include;

1) your DETAILED project plan (]Ahem, that said I'm going to start my write-up for my next project's design doc.[/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast