Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Graphics libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch
    how in gods name could it be larger than d3d?
    Not in all cases needed to install full and latest version of DirectX...

'Universal OpenGl Runtime' installer to distribute with OpenGl games?
    This installer will violate a license of NVIDIA, AMD, Intel and maybe others...

Blog Entries
    And we cannot use the open source alternatives to them? If I remember correctly there are projects to replace those proprietary drivers on GNU/Linux and etc.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

And we cannot use the open source alternatives to them? If I remember correctly there are projects to replace those proprietary drivers on GNU/Linux and etc.
    There is no problem with OpenGL in Linux... and there is no alternative of OpenGL implementation with hardware acceleration in Windows(Mesa will work only in software mode)

Software mode is better than buggy crap or nothing at all right lol?

Unless someone decides to do it.

But don't the people who made the OpenGL spec make their own generic drivers for OS's, or they just make up a bunch of hooha and everyone else makes stuff around it..... sounds strange.

Chesso
    Problem in Microsoft, which uses unfair competition by providing only GDI Generic renderer for OpenGL, and full support for Direct3D in standard WDM drivers...

Can't they do all that themselves? Or Windows just will not allow that kind of access.

Blog Entries
    sons of... Anyway, how much of a perf hit are we talking if we go software mode? I mean I do like Mesa drivers - using them right now and they work a treat, but mind you I am on buntu 10.10 and I can't wait for 11.04, but I stand by my stuff Unity - I find absolutely horrid. Especially on a touch screen And I believe that WDDM benchmarks include OpenGl or something similar because when it rates your card I think it goes through that. Not extensively, but I'm sure the support is there somewhere. I think we may be in the ironic position where AMD and nVdidia cards lack support but Intel GMA chips have plenty of it... Basically: sorry, our game wont run; your' card is too good
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Anyway, how much of a perf hit are we talking if we go software mode?
    100-1000 times slower...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    100-1000 times slower...
    That's only if you are using generic MS Windows drivers, right?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    That's only if you are using generic MS Windows drivers, right?
    Nope, GDI Generic always shows me ~1-5fps I'm saying about using Mesa software rasterazation. Even with LLVM you can get those values, but this depends on videocard for comparsion, resolution and count of heavy operations, e.g. blending, shaders, etc.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast