Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics libraries.

Graphics libraries.

Hello,

I have over time dabbled ever so slightly using UnDelphiX, OpenGL and I think Asphyre at some point.

I am currently using UnDelphiX and Delphi 2010, and aside from a strange issue (the window shakes at certain points of rendering at particular stages of the game, not sure why), I am looking for advice on a good graphics library to use.

What do you all think is the most stable and quickest one around? I know a lot of people don't like UnDelphiX much in general, but aside from the above quirk, installation and getting it going is really simple, but I have a feeling it may hold me back in the future.

I use BASS for sound, so I am not concerned about that.

Everybody who develops own library will propose his work, I think so... and yes, I have the one library - ZenGL. Simple(as for me and some other people), fast enough, cross-platform and still "grows up" Also there is a set of classes - EasyZenGL(which are appeared on official "international" forum of ZenGL).

About other libraries, I can remember only Andorra2D(but seems it's not in development anymore, due to this topic). Pretty good Windows only DanJet X and newer reincarnation - Gen2. Also there is a Delphi port of HGE(but I don't know how stable it). Some other lib's, which I didn't learn deep enough(e.g. Phoenix 2D Game Engine, because it too bloated(wants too many libs as for me), or PyroGine SDK with 9Mb lib O_o) you can find here on PGD Hmmm... I think PGD must make the list of libraries.

But I will give you an advice - try these libraries by your self and choose which one you like better. Don't afraid to spend some time learning how they works and so on

I've used a lot of UnDelphiX and then I switched for the Asphyre. If you don't like to build everything from scratch I would recommend the Asphyre. Very fast, never had any problems with it.
    However, UnDelphiX is more straightforward and probably allows you to write simpler games faster.

Not sure if I can use Apshyre, in the past they did not have support for it, and their latest updates adds support for XE only..... skipping me out lol.

Ah yes, there was a problem with compatibility with older versions. But now you have support for FreePascal and Lazarus. So Delphi is not the problem anymore

Nah it supports BDS 2006, 2007, Delphi XE...... Delphi 2010 is in between 2007 and XE lol.

For some reason they haven't supported it at all. Which sucks for me because I went from D7 straight to 2010 (they also did not support D7, which is why I finally moved up....) .

I meant that you don't have to use Delphi to use Asphyre But of course if you prefer Delphi then you have a problem.

The creator of Asphyre supported Delphi 7 but then resigned because he liked the operator overloading which was included in BDS 2006.

Have you tried to compile it under Delphi 2010? Delphi XE doesn't include any new language improvements as far as I remember...

Borrowing this thread for my own query.

I'm looking for a 2D graphics library for my new project:
    - Compatible with Delphi XE, compatibility with older versions and FPC/Lazarus is a plus
    - Good GUI system is absolutely necessary
    - Unicode support

Asphyre has support for GUI but never tried it so I can't say anything more about this.

Asphyre Sphinx seems to be the latest version and it doesn't have GUI. Asphyre 4.1 has, but it's from 2007...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast