Thread: Structure and Design

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow Structure and Design

Ok, well for the last two days i've been trying to put together the beginnings of my own library, which i hope can then be developed into an engine. It uses SDL and openGL, atm im just dealing with the design structure and the easy(er) sections camera and input. I was hoping if you all could give me some hints and such.

The plan i got atm:
    I want to keep everything as modular as possible, with each what i've just started calling devices((input, camera,renderer etc..) dunno if its really the right word but a well =]) So what i've started implementing is a device manager which is used to fetch and post events to the device. I was thinking of having some sort of Event stack or queue, to post and fetch from. With a property that tells if there is any events to be fetched. This is to be implemented via an interface.

EDIT:
    Also now i was thinking of using an observer pattern in the input class to notify when there is an event. This is so i don't have to keep checking if there is input, so the input device will let me know when there is input to handle. I'm also going to make the device interface a generic interface, since each implementation of the interface is most likely going to be using a different type.

So far the camera device isn't looking to bad, i've just kept it simple for now; still trying to organize the input device.

So its this an OK route to take? I fear i might be over complicating things, in theory i think its going to be good, but what do you guys think?
    Last edited by MuteClown; 22-03-2011 at 07:07 PM.