Thread: Kylix+SDL = good game for Linux and Windows

Kylix+SDL = good game for Linux and Windows

I'm making a small graphical 2d arcade game for both these platforms using just JEDI-SDL and kylix/delphi7. I make my own GUI and don't use any Forms or some such. It goes down to the basics. If anyone would like to help, send me a tell.

My mail is: ales@chello.sk

I already have the basic engine with some basic GUI(buttons, textlists, messageboxes). Now I need to add some nifty stuff like AI, net support and so on.

I'm currently moving my page to "don't know where yet" so I'll post that later...
    Feel the power of Open Source.
    <br />Feel the power of Free Pascal.

Blog Entries

That sounds great Almindor! There should be more projects of this type. Please do keep us posted.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Oh and it's freepascal compatible

Oh and it's freepascal compatible

Yep, that means it will be available to any OS which supports the JEDI-SDL/FPC combo which is about 8 or so

Update

I've made some progress today. Now I can basicly play with any number of players on one computer. There are still some keyboard problems but I guess this time it's hadware based(max number of pressed keys) Also a new web page should open in about 3 days I'll let you know as soon as it will be made. Graphics will stream in tomorow so keep your fingers crossed. If I get lucky it might even be complete for multi play on one PC in about 2 weeks(with some really basic graphics)

Update

Well the page isn't up yet. But it's more of a Sourceforge problem. Also 2 new team members joined, so it's moving nicely. I still need more graphics and specialy sound so if anyone is interested send me a tell. Expected 1 version is at the start of next week.(8.12)

Blog Entries

Give us some details about the game. ie. Genre, multiplayer, type of graphics, storyline, etc...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Info

Yes well the game is an arcade style top down shooter. It goes on only on 1 "screen" which is a 1024x768 "map" with objects and players. Imagine small soldiers with gun able to move on 1 screen with some objects(somewhat interactive like teleporters and so) with various guns trying to shoot each other. The view isn't absolutely "top down" it's more of a 45 angle when it goes to players and objects(so a player can "hide" behind a bush or such from "up") It's hard to explain like this I'm really nervous about Sourceforge, they haven't responded in 4 days now. I think I'll post it on a temporary web page tomorow if they don't respond. As to the graphics well I need both backgrounds(basicly anything like a small map or it can be some crazy thing like a tabletop since the "players" are actualy well how do you call them? candy... you know m&ms.)
    I also need some objects which would fall into the background so if you make a tabletop background, a cd or glass of water(can be "half" transparent it would make a cool effect) would be nifty too. Player graphics are made from a 3dstudio model made by my friend so I don't need that overmuch. Music and sound are completely open and are as of yet not implemented.

Oh yes, background graphics are in Jpeg format and objects are png. BURN THE GIFS.

Re: Info

It seems very good! is there any new ?
    I'm using the same platform as you, by the way are you able to get textual input? (see here )
    Post the web page if you have one now!

Bye!
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.
    <br /><A href="http://msx80.blogspot.com">http://msx80.blogspot.com</A>

Well for the ctrl stuff you need to do it yourself I guess altho there might be a lib. I didnt need that as the player sets his own controls in the game so the numbers are saved. The web is at:
    www.astarot.calluna.sk but it's under construction. I know i sayed this before but we're moving. It's just that holidays can slow things down and im also preparing for maturity so i dont have much time for the web to be done.