Thread: Spline Editor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spline Editor

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I last worked on a Pascal project, but it's about time I start something new again. This project involves building a WYSIWYG spline editor that I will use for TubeRunner (Which I really hope to finish in October this year). Features include:

> WYSIWYG editing by dragging handles (done)
    > Move/Zoom camera with mouse (done)
    > Switch between views (top/side/front)... yes It's a 3D spline.
    > Click on spline to create a new anchor
    > Manual editing of coordinates & tangents
    > Load/Save the spline to an XML

Screenshot:

This is my first project done in Lazarus (It won't work on Delphi). I must say that I'm really impressed with Lazarus, allthough there are some small points where delphi still excells.

The good thing is that this program is a general purpose spline editor, so anyone can use it. Therefore I will donate the source to the community under some very non-restrictive license.

I did most of the work yesterday and I made a lot of progress. I will probably finish it in 2 weeks.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Looking good mate

cheers,
    Paul

Looks nice. My personal favorite though are splines that go through the points, using next ones in the route as control points. It's propably called Catmull-rom.

And there it was: http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...ll=1#post38234

Last edited by User137; 11-04-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Yes I know how to draw those too. This program will be use Bezier-splines because I found them to be most effective for tunnels used in race-games. Feel free to extend the program to support Catmull-Rom splines, once I have published the source.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    Nice indeed, I may even in fact have a use for this one, and that isn't something I can say about most of the stuff on my HDD, or even in my life. Sweet. It saves into XML right? Any chance of CSV? With my coming up with a XML parsing system almost from the ground up I'm trying to avoid it like the plague for now
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

It doesn't do much yet, but I'm planning on XML import/export. I keep the export functionality separated from the rest of my code, so you can easily add CSV support yourself.

You can now drag a "handle" to the side of the screen and it will start scrolling in that direction. Very handy when working on large splines with loads of detail.

Update: Just made the entire view menu functional. You can switch between XY, YX and XZ view-planes, zoom in/out, show/hide the tangents and reset the camera of the viewport. If I can keep going at this rate, I will be done next weekend.
    Last edited by chronozphere; 11-04-2011 at 09:56 PM.