Thread: Cuda

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've looked into CUDA and I would love to do more with it in the future. I'm considering to pick this as the topic for my Bachelors Thesis.

From what I have seen, CUDA provides a programming model that enables developers to use the power of the GPU for things other than 3D graphics. You could do interesting things like, analyzing big images, financial computations, biological computations, cryptography/hacking and way more. I don't think CUDA has a lot to offer when it comes to graphics for games, because we allready have those pipelines and shader-languages. However, It could be interesting to use the GPU for physics simulations in games, though you'd need to do some research on how to split the computation-units inside the GPU architecture so that they can do tranditional shaders + your own physics.

Also, note that CUDA is aimed at NVidia's GPU's. OpenCL would be a more attractive alternative when you want to make stuff work on AMD's cards aswell. However this is a research project on it's own. Not something to "just try" when you aim to make a game.
    Last edited by chronozphere; 08-10-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.