Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenSource Object Pascal Module Playback Library

Blog Entries

OpenSource Object Pascal Module Playback Library

Hmm... this isn't a project that has begun yet, but what better place to see if there is an interest in this.

Please read the following threads 1 & 2 and tell me what you think of my project idea.

The idea is to take existing code from this small project on sourceforge using existing tech data and C code and create an open source Object Pascal version of a play back library that loads, detects and mixes MODs, S3Ms, XMs and ITs plus whatever else the team can think of.

The reasons are simple:

1) There fails to exist a FREE for EVERYTHING, cross-platform, mixer/playback library that can play a vast majority of module formats and produces high quality mixing output.

2) There is not an Object Pascal, open source module library that can play a vast majority of module formats and produces high quality mixing output.

3) Modules are an extreemly amazing way to include music into your games and they keep the file sizes down without having to resort to the use of heafty MP3 encoded WAV files.

Would anyone be interested in this type of project? Myself and one other would definately be a contributor to it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Sounds like a fantastic project. I don't have time to help you because I'm working on the new xcess gdk at the moment but I would be very interested in something like that.
    Ask me about the xcess game development kit

Blog Entries

Well it would indeed be on par with the C code-based projects of back in the days, but only we'd be doing it in Object Pascal(Delphi & Kylix).
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I've got nothing but time... Unemployed at the moment :-(. What would you like me to do?

-Jeremy

Blog Entries

Well from what we seem to be heading for we would take a look at what noeska has done with his small mod player then see if we can expand on it.

I have a ton of tech files and some source code of my own. I am willing to contribute these and some extra time to work on aspects of a MOD mixer/player that will eventually include S3M, XM and IT module formats. But, only if others will contribute aswell.

As for what you could do? Well, what can you do? In-line ASM, Audio algos, knowlage of MOD type formats, etc would be useful. I'm thinking that we should not worry about the actual playback of the audio(why re-invent the wheel?) rather we concentrate on the mixing of the audio. ie. Making a streamed output of raw audio that can be fed to a playback device or engine. This will make the project 100% cross-compatable. I don't know the best format for Kylix libraries(equivilent of Dynamic Link Library files), but if we make it a simple unit to start we should be ok.

Here's a question; Would you be willing to manage a sourceforge site for this project?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Here's a question; Would you be willing to manage a sourceforge site for this project?
    NO problem....

As for what you could do? Well, what can you do? In-line ASM, Audio algos, knowlage of MOD type formats, etc would be useful. I'm thinking that we should not worry about the actual playback of the audio(why re-invent the wheel?) rather we concentrate on the mixing of the audio. ie. Making a streamed output of raw audio that can be fed to a playback device or engine. This will make the project 100% cross-compatable. I don't know the best format for Kylix libraries(equivilent of Dynamic Link Library files), but if we make it a simple unit to start we should be ok.
    I have enough experiance to handle most of this I am shakey with asm though. I guess it's time to learn huh? :-)
    I will set up the sf project today under the possible names of openmod, or crossmod.... dunno yet but I will get that ball rolling. After the project is set up I'll have you send me the tech files through that.

Sorry about the depressing tone of my last post. I had just got off the phone with my head hunter and it sounds like I'm not going to see anything till after the new year. I've been out sense oct 30th. Anyways enough of my problems... I'll posty back here when I have the project up.

-Jeremy

I have got the registration process complete. Now just waiting on sf to notify me that they have set up the project.

-Jeremy

please do not use asm, only pure object pascal code please! That way we keep the project open for compiling on mac os. (yes there is an object pascal compiler for mac-osx!)
    Mixing is done using openal. (multiple source). Also no mixing should be done by software. OpenAL wil use hardware-mixing when available.
    It makes things harder to program, but the end result will be better, both in speed and portability.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

I would be really interested in contributing, but my programming skills are somewhat limited, I'm still in the learning process

So if there is anything I can do wich doesen't require really advanced programming, please let me know.
    BK - we.create (tm)

Mrwb
    I would be really interested in contributing, but my programming skills are somewhat limited, I'm still in the learning process

So if there is anything I can do wich doesen't require really advanced programming, please let me know.
    No problem here... I do suggest you look into cvs stuff as that is the only way that you can get and send data to the project.

noeska
    please do not use asm, only pure object pascal code please! That way we keep the project open for compiling on mac os. (yes there is an object pascal compiler for mac-osx!)
    Mixing is done using openal. (multiple source). Also no mixing should be done by software. OpenAL wil use hardware-mixing when available.
    It makes things harder to program, but the end result will be better, both in speed and portability.
    That was the origal plan anyway. I was only saying that in case it did become an issue later.

I was also planning on writing it so that it will compile in not only delphi/kylix but it will also compile in Free Pascal. I'm playing with 1.9 for right now.

I grabbed your player code and will look at it in the morning to get an idea as to where to go from here.

What file formats are we all interested in?

-Jeremy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast