View Poll Results: Would you use the PGD Mobile App?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Not interested in mobile devices or Apps.

2 18.18%
  • I have a mobile device and I would use the App!

5 45.45%
  • I have a mobile device, but I would not use the App.

1 9.09%
  • I don't have a mobile device, but I would use the App.

2 18.18%
  • I don't have a mobile device and I would not use the App.

1 9.09%

Thread: PGD Mobile?

Blog Entries

Question PGD Mobile?

Hey everyone!

I would like to get a general idea of how many people would use this iPhone/Android App should we get it. Yes, it does support both the Android and iOS platforms and would be available for both. The cost to you would be completely FREE.

You would be able to use the forums on your mobile device and the all the shown features as seen in the video below...

Who would use the new mobile app out of those that have a iOS or Android device? Who here has such devices?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Error: No mobile device found!.

Don't want to be too pessimistic, but I don't think enough people visit PGD to make this a worthwile effort (unless you can just take an app-template or something, configure it and start spreading it).
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    Such an app would provide more exposure to the Android Marketplace and iTune App Store of the PGD community. In short more ways to find out about PGD and more options for mobile app users than having to open a web browser to keep up with the community.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Sadly, I have to agree with chronozphere. At least when it comes to participating. I don't really know about visitor statistics.

There may be two reasons for such an app: Getting more people to join the community and spread updates/posts. To start with the latter, I don't think I would use that app to see that single post that was posted during the last two hours. It's sad, but true.
    If we want to draw more people to this community, there are two audiences we have to target:

> Pascal programmers who would like to get into game development
    > Beginning gamedevelopers who are looking for a tool/langauge to learn

Just adding a new app to the Iphone/Android appstore will not draw the attention of any of these groups efficiently. A more "targeted" approach would be best, but I'm confident that we (and I especially mean you, Jason ) are doing that allready!

So, all in all, I appreciate the effort but I don't think it'll work.

P.S: The thing we need most is cool content and cool projects.. that said, I will start writing an article about "tool design" ASAP.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

I just got an HTC Desire, and I would definitely use such an app (got a wireless router at home) in the time the computer is not accessible to me (need to share it with other people), or I am not at home (often). Of course, this may not bring in new people to PGD, but seeing as it's a vBulletin application (needs not to be done from scratch) it would be nice if I could use it. The question is, what needs to be done to bring it to us?
    Existence is pain

Blog Entries
    Have to be honest, I don't have a mobile platform that uses 'apps' to speak of... But I would use it if I did (which may be the case soon. we shall see ). My only app is firefox 4 with flash and everything on whatever OS I have on my tablet...

Just please dont make the system requirement to view PGD more than 3gb RAM and 256mb VRAM along with 2 penryn cores please because then I might be in trouble... Or win32 either. Danke...

So all in all, I like the app a lot but TBH if its paid for I have my doubts... Oh and I'd go android not iOS (wonder why )
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    I had thought about paid, but I don't think that would work towards one of the affects I'm hoping for from it. More Free apps get downloaded and actually used than your typical $0.99 ones, obviously. So to spread it around more, we'd be best to keep it free.

Oh and good luck getting the guy running the site to pick Android over iOS when he owns and loves his iPad.

And to be clear though, again, the app will exist for both mobile devices. All in the same deal.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder