View Poll Results: Would you like to do a mini-compo to warm up for the PGD Annual competition?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

3 17.65%
  • Yes

14 82.35%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PGD Competition Warm-up Challenge Anyone?

Three weeks sounds good Jason

I'm looking forward to it

cheers,
    Paul

It's kind off hard for me to say when I have time. I guess I should just agree with the first reasonable date and have a try. I still have one busy month ahead of me (Need to catch a 15June deadline for a paid project). Also I intend on joining a summer-school on multicore programming.

That said, I will just give it a shot. I could also be a judge. It just all depends on how busy I am and/or how many judges volunteer.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

I'm on vacation until June 13th, so I guess I would have to start a few days late which I wouldn't mind at all. I will definitely try to get something done for this compo.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Well with the server problems all behind us now, I can get back to focusing on this challenge/mini-compo we've been talking about. What does everyone think about start it this June... maybe the 10th?
    I have problems to organise my free time, but I think its a good date. Count me in!

Also is anyone interested in being a judge for this small competition? We'd need 3 at least. I'd fill in a judge spot as well so that would leave only need of 2 more.
    If you have problems to get judges, I propose a public vote system (if possible), so anyone can download, test and rate the games.

And lastly; is everyone fairly happy about 3 weeks to complete your entry? Keeping in mind that you should be making simple prototypes not full title sized games for the challenge.
    3 weeks to make simple prototypes? I've seen full games done in just a wee-end! Actually I did (almost) one.
    No signature provided yet.

So, I decided I am going to sponsor some downloadable games for the compo as motivation.

I talked to WILL and we thought it would be best if the winners can choose their games (First place chooses first, second place second, third last). Here is the small list of games:
    - Mass Effect 2 (EA Download Manager code)
    - Terraria (Steam gift)
    - Frozen Synapse (Download with optional Steam key)
    - The Secret of Monkey Island (Steam gift)
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Nice! good one Stoney, very generous of you

cheers,
    Paul

Oh, allthough I'm not much of a gamer, this really makes things more interesting.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

the next igdc contest is about to start any day now and it should last for 2 weeks.
    I would like to take part in both contests so I would very much appreciate it if the start date was pushed to around 14-15 June.

Blog Entries
    Ok thanks for letting me know Dan. This makes me want to push it back a week or so now.

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal. If I push it back all I ask is that you help spread the word of the PGD Challenge Mini Competition. Places such as the IGDC and whatver other developer forums you know of. The mini compo will be much more fun with more people involved anyhow, right?

I was about to announce it as a June 10th start, but maybe push it back to the next Friday. Also with it ending on the July 1st weekend we might have a few missed submissions due to any North American partying going on that weekend too. Anyone else's countries celebrate something in early July?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

No partying here in good old Australia LOL

cheers,
    Paul

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast