Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freepascal app on Android market!!

Freepascal compiler app on Android market!!

Hey all,
    I have found that 'apparently' someone has gotten freepascal running under Android natively and has an Android app to make freepascal programs directly on an Android device!!

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 05-05-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Good to see that this is possible.

I do think that we need Cooper to unlock the full power of android to pascal developers. Messing with JNI to make Pascal binaries interface with the Java core may work, but it's a tad too messy in my opinion. Unless you have a small amount of classes to interface to, it seems like a no-go.

I'm thinking about doing Android development, after I buy myself a testing device. I'll probably use Java though, unless I find some convincing reasons to use Pascal instead.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

I thought somebody else here had already written some time of media player app in FPC released on the market.

Very nice.
    I've dabbling with Android development myself. The best way to code Pascal apps for Android I found so far is: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/A...ve_Android_GUI
    Also with Android 2.3 it is possible to develop native Pascal apps without any direct use of Java.

@dazappa: You're right. BeRo made some Android apps with Pascal. But this app is special because it compiles Pascal code on Android devices.
    Last edited by Stoney; 05-05-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Quote Originally Posted by dazappa View Post
    I thought somebody else here had already written some time of media player app in FPC released on the market.
    Sorry dazappa, I wasn't clear with my thread title - meant to put in 'compiler' instead of 'app'...

It appears to be a freepascal compiler that works under Android, not an Android app written with freepascal!

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
    Good to see that this is possible.

I do think that we need Cooper to unlock the full power of android to pascal developers. Messing with JNI to make Pascal binaries interface with the Java core may work, but it's a tad too messy in my opinion. Unless you have a small amount of classes to interface to, it seems like a no-go.

I'm thinking about doing Android development, after I buy myself a testing device. I'll probably use Java though, unless I find some convincing reasons to use Pascal instead.
    Not that I can say much, but I have been messing around with Cooper myself in the beta test

I haven't done anything yet as I am still getting around the language differences

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Also with Android 2.3 it is possible to develop native Pascal apps without any direct use of Java.
    Then 2.3 it is! I hope you are right, because... well, to comment on your own signature:

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.
    Java: A device for converting software into coffee grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Very nice.
    I've dabbling with Android development myself. The best way to code Pascal apps for Android I found so far is: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/A...ve_Android_GUI
    Nice! So how does one make Android 2.3 programs using Native Pascal without Java?

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Now this is what I call salvation: I was looking into one of those android tabs (read your thread paul, very nice finds) and was very worried I'd end up on the experimental side of compilers or have to revert to C/C++ which isn't my first choice. For me, Java is just NO. plain and simple - no java ever. The only iteration of Java I find 'acceptable' is javascript but propper java on a device: sorry - no...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Now this is what I call salvation: I was looking into one of those android tabs (read your thread paul, very nice finds) and was very worried I'd end up on the experimental side of compilers or have to revert to C/C++ which isn't my first choice. For me, Java is just NO. plain and simple - no java ever. The only iteration of Java I find 'acceptable' is javascript but propper java on a device: sorry - no...
    I know what you mean, but I have bit the bullet, and am now also learning Java + Eclipse IDE to make some programs for my tablet. This is until I can find something suitable with Pascal and Android...

I have been spoiled with Pascal, Java doesn't even have unsigned types like Byte (unsigned), Word, LongWord, only signed integers! This is causing some pain when trying to convert some Pascal code to Java

I am also trying Project Cooper beta, but I am having trouble getting my head around the Delphi Prism syntax Also, quite frankly, doing something with Java + Eclipse is rather nice (ignoring the language issues)...Eclipse is very user friendly once you get used to it, mainly hints with errors It gives you one or more fixes for errors that you can just click on and implement!!

cheers,
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast