Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: nxPascal

Finally got done what i was supposed to. 3D support for particle engine is there, and you can test it all. Check first post for updated links. Mainly do check the model and effects1 demos, they're quite an update to earlier ones. All demos are tested working on Lazarus and Delphi7.

Spent pretty much whole day fighting with Synapse network library I wanted to test it in action so i had to make a small "game". In the process alot of bugs got found and eliminated, and finally everything worked smooth. My test had 5 client windows connected to the same server, each with unique 2D spaceship that was showing flying on all screens. Random crashes at exit are no more.

What got me puzzled for long time was simple string comparison. In the authentication i have string1 and string2. Then string2:=string1; Now pass string1 into MaskCrypt() and i discovered that string2 changed aswell Crazy pointer logics there. So in order to copy string to another i have to do it with string2:=copy(string1, 1, 255);

New version released again, and cleaned up first post a little. I finally got the 3D model class in shape that it can be published, and i'm really happy with its potential now. Once for example OBJ is loaded in it, i can use its simple commands to convert it to W3D format, or back and forth between triangle and polygonal model classes. So polygon class supports triangulation, while both classes are able to recalculate normals based on face groups.

Some thought process also went into textures regarding models, which are now automatically freed. For example if i have 3 models that use 1 same texture, when i load them in, only 1 instance of that texture is loaded but they all use it. But only after all 3 of them are freed, then the texture is freed too.

What's next: I'm looking a bit into normal (bump) mapping with GL_ARB_multitexture, but its just not working yet. I just really have to get that done some point. Also there is a minor glitch on some test models regarding W3D and OBJ... They work in majority of cases and i fixed all crashable bugs, but there seem to be something that i miss in the W3D->PolyModel conversion because 2 of the test models shows texturemap wrong for 1 vertex. At some point i might consider 3DS format addition. Also, do not think that W3D as it is, is final model format i'll use, it is not. Just being the only format i have modelling tool for.

Another i'd like to put in is a 3D physics engine and bone animation. Have not looked into those at all yet, although there is already some bone support in the model classes.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    Decided to make another video. Combination of various features, first off background is 800x600 QuadTexture. Followed by 2 particle launchers at bottom corner, from which right side is a clone of left one. Mouse cursor drops snowflakes which have gravity applied to them. Then there are 3 trail effects also part of particle engine.

Top top it off, all of that is drawn only in framebuffer. There is a 50x50 grid of indexed GL_QUADS vertexarray, which acts as screen. This let me do a "collapse" effect at where blue trail is moving, basically the grid bends towards it like spacetime

Background music comes also from the application, by nxBass unit, that is some of BASS library simplified to OOP way of programming.
    This is all there is to it in main program, and it can handle alot of formats:
    Code:
      bassSound:=TBassEngine.Create(handle);
      if not bassSound.CheckErrors then begin
        bassSound.Add('music','data'+PathChar+'test.s3m').  Play;
      end;

Wireframe option is added to render settings. Unfortunately i can't upload engine sources yet because this broke my model demo that used placeholder particletype. 3D particle rendering isn't ready yet. But adding me to MSN or asking with private message always works and i can send anything.

Compiled demo added to attachments, let me know if there are any problems running it
    If I may ask, what is the music in the above video?
    I quite like it

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    If I may ask, what is the music in the above video?
    I quite like it
    I think it's S3M called "In the mist", was free download from some site. It's actually the demo (this demo is included in the downloads) playing it with BASS library I didn't separately attach it to video.

Oh, i could also make a small game for a demo too. Anyone have ideas what it could be? I'm actually fan of Tetris myself, lol.
    Last edited by User137; 03-01-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    I think it's S3M called "In the mist", was free download from some site. It's actually the demo (this demo is included in the downloads) playing it with BASS library I didn't separately attach it to video.

Oh, i could also make a small game for a demo too. Anyone have ideas what it could be? I'm actually fan of Tetris myself, lol.
    Thanks for the song info, I found and downloaded it
    http://lite.modarchive.org/index.php...id&query=71153

Hmm...maybe I should see if I can make some code to play S3M songs - those type of songs are very small in size and would be perfect for inclusion into my game, but I don't want to distribute YAL (Yet Another Library) haha

Not sure what type of game you could make, maybe a 2d tile-based plaformer that has 3d objects in it? That could be fun and not too hard
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 03-01-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: updated post

If you want smal sized songs you might rather use MO3 format, wich is also supportet by BASS sound library. MO3 format is actualy a lot like MOD format, except that all the samples are being compressed by mp3 compression, while MOD format uses samples in plain WAV format.

But if you realy intend to make your own way off playing songs I have an interesting idea. I was planing to do this myself but my knowledge on this area is too low.
    What I was thinking is that instead of having samples stored in each song you have one master collection of samples and songs itself are just a set of instructions of when each sample must be played. This will lower the space required for theese songs especialy if they use same samples. Also since you will have all the samples loaded into memory at the same time you could easily make posible of mixing two or more songs together at any time.
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 04-01-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    I like your demo. It's very demoscenish.

Are you making much progress on your game which was using this engine as well?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I haven't decided yet. In the end a platformer would take quite some work, in the graphics, and overall. I could make it an endless shooting game which would in time get harder and harder, and then just compete of high score. I have thought of a way to randomly spawn enemies and their "retro look" movement patterns, so i wouldn't need a level editor at all. Maybe you could even upgrade the ship while flying it... Because i dislike the way retro games get their weapon upgrades by directly assigning them from looting. It may override a good weapon you were used to with something bad, so i'd rather use a "ship builder" dialog you can open at any time.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast