Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: nxPascal

OT:
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    If you want smal sized songs you might rather use MO3 format, wich is also supportet by BASS sound library. MO3 format is actualy a lot like MOD format, except that all the samples are being compressed by mp3 compression, while MOD format uses samples in plain WAV format.

But if you realy intend to make your own way off playing songs I have an interesting idea. I was planing to do this myself but my knowledge on this area is too low.
    What I was thinking is that instead of having samples stored in each song you have one master collection of samples and songs itself are just a set of instructions of when each sample must be played. This will lower the space required for theese songs especialy if they use same samples. Also since you will have all the samples loaded into memory at the same time you could easily make posible of mixing two or more songs together at any time.
    Just so you know, I was allowed to use BeRo's XM player code in my game which can play .mod and .xm tracker files, so my game's exe has shrunk down from over 14MB to around 3MB! This is with increasing the music track count from 1 to 8!! (Thanks BeRo!)

Have to be fairly pleased after few hours of fun with this project (yes, i started from scratch today). This is how it looks so far:

It is taking under 20% of cpu at locked 100 fps rate for me. Curious to see later if different setups slow it down or not.

Ah pretty good! You need a bunch of stars in the background though... and some explosions!
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Damn, i've already found 2 bugs from the engine because of this game Not only models had no textures at first, because Displaylist class didn't take into account texture references (so they were auto-freed when model was destroyed), but also simple FPS counter had a bug... At least they're fixed now.
    Last edited by User137; 14-01-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    Damn, i've already found 2 bugs from the engine because of this game Not only models had no textures at first, because Displaylist class didn't take into account texture references (so they were auto-freed when model was destroyed), but also simple FPS counter had a bug... At least they're fixed now.
    hehe, isn't that what games are for...to test their game engine?

I have found bugs in my engine when making The Probe using it, was rather helpful!

Good luck!

cheers,
    Paul

School and playing other games are pressing on a bit so time is limited, but project continues, here's little more progress info and screenshot New thing there is rotating turret objects. This screenshot is first scetch about the upgrade mode, which also shows at the beginning for that controls hint. At any point of game you can press Enter (or Space) to enter this upgrade mode, where you can change primary and secondary weapon and balance ships resources between shields, weapons and energy generation. There will be collectable upgrades to which increases the resources, and available weapons.

Also i finally got the framerate issues solved, so it really is smooth 60 fps even on schools silly computers. I've been very reluctant to do the basic things like explosions and bullet hits, simply because i want to do the hard work on weapon systems classes first... Once they're done, things will start to get showy really fast Like there is already some definitions for beams and homing missiles even though they're not showing yet.

I like customization, simplest pulse cannon might stretch to various styles like: switching turret, simultaneous dual fire, volley, rapid fire, way faster but more random and less damage per pulse. Etc... You might have pulse cannon on both fire1 and fire2 buttons but customize them in different way.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...enshot1uq.jpg/
    Last edited by User137; 24-01-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Can't resist filming it in action Yus, it has musics and sounds. Although sounds start clicking after a while and i have not solved that problem yet. Laser weapon is not yet in showcase shape, besides with primary and secondary weapon i was only able to show 2 kinds of weapons. The zoom-in mode only serves as key guide for now, until i get to design the upgrade info in it.

Blog Entries
    Very cool demo. When are you planning on creating a website to host documentation and the game engine and the demos it's self?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Very cool!! I would be interested to see how it runs on my laptop! LOL

Little update again. I uploaded latest version of nx_src.zip, engine source code. Some recent Lazarus of FPC SVN versions broke latin characters. That is fixed now, in addition to other minor fixes in past months i have forgotten... nxBass wrapper is fixed about wav-sample channel counts, so that the "clicking" bug in the game demo is fixed. Also, beam weapons for both turrets are done in the demo now. It's all about adding more content, as if i could do that while playing Star Trek Online

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast