Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SDL 1.2.6 Is Out Why No Update to JEDI-SDL 0.5?

Blog Entries

SDL 1.2.6 Is Out Why No Update to JEDI-SDL 0.5?

OK, I know I'm asking for it but; JEDI-SDL has not been updated for almost 2 years now and there have been at least 2 versions since with the SDL API it supports. Why no updates? At least a minor one updaing the documentation or the supplied libraries or something.

It's a shame that it has been neglected thus far.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

May be it it's better to ask here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jedi-sdl/
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries

Perhaps you're right. I left a message there. Though, I know that our friend Mr. savage is a major contributor to SDL(if not more, forgive me if so ).

A widely used API from what I can see. I can't honestly see why it's not a bit more popular with the Delphi Gaming world.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Yup

You're right it's a good library. Probably the only one that does the bussiness. Easy to use too if you ask me. I don't know why it isn't popular but I have my theories.

Most delphi people just stick with Winshit and thats the reason to use DirectX or DelphiX. SDL comes to mind only with cross platforms, altough it's quite good if not better with combo with opengl than DirectX is(if you don't believe see UT2003)

I actualy view C++(or C) as a bigger problem with the programming industry. It's a bloated overextended language with primitive IDEs no control and a bad pointer relationship system(not to mention references) and altough SDL itself has been(as many other things like systems) written with C or C++ I think it would end up much better written in Pascal or some other nice language. Just my 2 cents
    Feel the power of Open Source.
    <br />Feel the power of Free Pascal.

Blog Entries

Re: Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Almindor
    Most delphi people just stick with Winshit and thats the reason to use DirectX or DelphiX. SDL comes to mind only with cross platforms, altough it's quite good if not better with combo with opengl than DirectX is(if you don't believe see UT2003)
    I've seen, I believe. Almost ever commercial game that I have seen that has used OpenGL, ran extreemly well. Esp. UT & UT2003. I personally think that programmers need to think more cross-platform in coding practices, esp with all the availability that Borland has provided us with now.

I actualy view C++(or C) as a bigger problem with the programming industry. It's a bloated overextended language with primitive IDEs no control and a bad pointer relationship system(not to mention references) and altough SDL itself has been(as many other things like systems) written with C or C++ I think it would end up much better written in Pascal or some other nice language. Just my 2 cents
    The JEDI-SDL project is to make the wrapper or interface for the SDL library not recreate it, just to be on the same page. I never liked programming in C much myself. Object Pascal is so much easier to look through and code.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Re: Yup

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    I've seen, I believe. Almost ever commercial game that I have seen that has used OpenGL, ran extreemly well. Esp. UT & UT2003.
    IIRC UT2003 by default uses Direct3D renderer :roll:
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mayhap, but try running Halflife(1) with Direct3D. You get 1/10 the performance of Direct3D. Perhaps it's some implementation problem but with the professionalizm of that team I doubt that.

Mayhap, but try running Halflife(1) with Direct3D. You get 1/10 the performance of Direct3D. Perhaps it's some implementation problem but with the professionalizm of that team I doubt that.
    Where have you took these numbers? Take for example above mentioned UT2003 where is almost no difference running either 3D API. Performance in this case is more dependant on driver quality / optimizations in it.

It's just a question of fine tuning the HL config files. OpenGL has the same performance level as D3D in Halflife. But btw if we talk about what might be the better api.. I experienced graphic errors or slow performance mostly on games using Direct3D, but i cannot really compare (most games use the DX api..) to OpenGL. It's cruel that every time the user (customer) is forced to make these tunings or wait for a specific driver or a better tweak program.. or bugfix. Have you ever heard about such enourmous problems on Linux, i'm no insider. that would be interesting (i'll start a new topic at the right place).
    :?:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ***entering the GATES to hellfire***

Well ok I give up... I was heating my antiMS soup, but seriously most of my friends got big problems with half-life performance thru d3d.(the numbers were guesses). I know this prolly isn't a problem of the API. However considering that openGL is portable and mostly considered peer if not better than D3D I think there is no better alternative. If you know of any pls tell me )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast