Thread: Dragon Game Creation Studio

Dragon Game Creation Studio

This will be open source studio for easy game making (like in Multimedia Fusion or Stencyl). For more advanced things language called G4MECode will be used (I'm about to write interpreter now). Version considered as 1.0 will contain IDE with Point & Click map editor, easy code generator similar to one in MMF or Construct (which will generate G4MECode script files which will be interpreted by engine), engine itself and help & examples (with strong emphasis on good G4MECode reference). Studio is still in planning phase, so no code or download available yet. DGCS will be released under GNU GPL v3, engine will be double licensed so there will be possible to make also closed source and commercial games (closed source freeware will require donation for Free Software Foundation, commercial usage will cost more and won't exactly go to FSF ).

G4MECode

While interpreter is not yet written language itself is already designed and I may release reference soon to speed up interpreter process (other will know what exactly specific function will do to easier implementation). language will be focused on ease to use and multimedia functions. Therefore almost everything will be contextbased and language itself will be as close to natural language as possible.

Engine
    Engine will be written after finishing interpreter and will use SDL as it's backend. For physics Chipmunk will be used (for user's convenience, all chipmunk functions would be accessible from G4MECode and there be several aliases for less experienced users as there will be for SDL (for example make-game-window function will init sdl video system when first used and then make sdl surface window, any second use will just spawn another sdl window)).

For engine there is also planned Mode7-like 3d mode via OGL.

IDE

IDE will contain scene designer inspired by one used by stencyl which makes great mix between tile-based level designer and entity-based ones. After finishing level editor I'll take care of point&click code generator similar to ones in tools like Construct, Multimedia fusion or stencyl (actually I thought on algorithm-blocks style interface where you just placing blocks on surface and then filling with values and connecting).

Supported OSs
    Dragon Game Creation Studio is developed under Linux with Lazarus and will be written in portability in mind so it can be easily recompiled under Windows, MacOS or other systems. For engine there will be Linux and Windows engines in 1.0, so you'd be able to make games on Windows and they'll be playable under Linux without tools like wine. Engines for other systems like MacOS may be compiled from sources.

Final thoughts

I know this is pretty big project, therefore I won't be able to do it by myself. Can I count on your support and code contribution?

Blog Entries
    Hmmm... Related to the interpreter thread right? I think, if its fast and easy to use, then this could be quite an asset for game prototyping. Any words on cross platform/open source?

For the engine, I would personally use OpenGl for rendering since its HW accelerated and SDL is not etc,

For the support, depends what for.

Otherwise not a bad idea overall. Lots of work involved though
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

cool an another engine in pascal

The double license is a good idea, keep it up !
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/