Hem... I believe intel put the price according to the
I7 950 which is suprisingly fast
part... Ok, so its on of THE fastest processors around (I can't afford one so the gaming rig build will most likely be a phenom 2 955 BE OCd) and the GTX460 might be cheap(er) than launch, but let me say this: it still trumps a good portion of the market - and I would be worried if thats the market in a year my 4330 really would be up the wall that time...

Now OpenCl is interesting in itself - the way I see it its' a case of GPGU, do we want that? Anyone? Ah yes, you sir mr higher end ATI and Nvidia. Any others? No? Oh well, a portion of th market can enjoy. Although I'm totally for making use of the teraflops of GPU power many people now have or at the very least hundreds of megaflops - unless it fits into every language, is nicer than the first iterations of OpenGl and works on everything (eg. no nvidia bugs in early iterations with EXTs and FBOs) then fine. But would you like to learn a whole new ideology for 20% of the market to get better performance than the best available (which they are already getting) and write it all again normally? Probably not.

Besides that: since when has CPU power been limiting in games? Since many apt gaming rigs still sport C2Ds and we talk more about GPUs for games than CPUs - GPGPUs are a problem: take load where there is not enough of it and move it to an area that is already under too much load? Logical isn't it. How come ATI cards do good gaming without nvidia physx? - the same reason you mentioned: GPU bottlenecks.

The approach you're taking is nice indeed, though, one thing at a time and all and I'll definitely be taking a look into the code - perhaps run it even (once I get a system that can ). Have to say, though, the i7 is futureproofing gone a long way for CPU power. What I would like to see though is a different matter: OpenGCL - Open generalised computing language. AKA. A language/set of headers that pools together ALL resources of a system (audio processor, GPU and CPU) and run everyhting on whatever is best suited/has the most available computing power. That way its a case of: your system has one speed rating: generalised power. No RAM, CPU, GPU etc. Just one figure, one language, and one bottleneck: overall power. Now that would really make my day.