Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have questions? Post them to us here!

Blog Entries
    I'll be around tonight, but I'll be gone all day Saturday (going to see Green Lantern and X-Men: First Class in the city) so if you have any dire questions that need answering sooner than later, be sure to ask away tonight.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Just a question for how to use an engine. I developed an engine which is rather for general use. (Based on SDL). Now I made every function accessable to Lua. So the engine is written in FreePascal. Can I commit a game which is entirely written in Lua except the engine? If not, it's also possible to use the engine in Pascal, but development is a bit slower ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    Just a question for how to use an engine. I developed an engine which is rather for general use. (Based on SDL). Now I made every function accessable to Lua. So the engine is written in FreePascal. Can I commit a game which is entirely written in Lua except the engine? If not, it's also possible to use the engine in Pascal, but development is a bit slower ...
    Well how thick is your Object Pascal layer? If we are talking just mapping the Lua language to the same command for Object Pascal, then I'm not sure, but that would feel like a bit of a cheat.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Okay, posts seem to work now. Thanks a lot.
    Yes, it is a layer, so all functions are actually implemented in Pascal (but they are themselves a layer to SDL ). But anyway, I will do the game in Pascal using my engine ... (Well, at least I can do the prototyping via Lua and port it to Pascal).
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Sound effects

Where can I found some free decent sound effects for my game. Mostly I would need sounds for tanks, jeeps, various weapons etc.

Just to be sure: Sources should be written in English?

Also: I plan to use the engine used by the Allegro's demo game with a lot of changes. Any problem with it?
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Where can I found some free decent sound effects for my game. Mostly I would need sounds for tanks, jeeps, various weapons etc.
    There are lots of places online, just give a google for "free" or "royalty free" sound effects. SoundDogs.com is a good one. If you need music there is also RoyaltyFreeMusic.com and incompetech.com. Which I've used myself for a few of my own projects. Don't find anything there, just keep looking for other sites. There is a whole bunch of them just make sure you have the rights to use it by contacting the owners of the music you download. Oh and don't forget about SoundCloud.com too!

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez View Post
    Just to be sure: Sources should be written in English?
    Well if you want to release your source with your entry to increase interest in Object Pascal games or your Allegro.pas library, I'd suggest it. Otherwise all your comments in your code can be Martian for all the judges will care.

Also: I plan to use the engine used by the Allegro's demo game with a lot of changes. Any problem with it?
    That's fine. I consider this kind of like reusing an existing engine written in Object Pascal and modifying it to become your own game anyhow. The rules allow for such development.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    There are lots of places online, just give a google for "free" or "royalty free" sound effects. SoundDogs.com is a good one. If you need music there is also RoyaltyFreeMusic.com and incompetech.com. Which I've used myself for a few of my own projects. Don't find anything there, just keep looking for other sites. There is a whole bunch of them just make sure you have the rights to use it by contacting the owners of the music you download. Oh and don't forget about SoundCloud.com too!
    Also OpenGameArt.com has some music and sound effects.

I can't find a lot of MIDI music. I know, it's obsolete blah, blah, blah... but MIDI is cool: you can change a lot of parameters while playing (including the instrument!) and I love all that old beeps and fussss... I think I need a MIDI sequencer.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 22-06-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    No signature provided yet.

Guys thank you for your quick replies.
    I did tried to search the web for some free sound effects but I didn't find a single page wich would provide me with decent sound effect wich are free. Currently I'm not prepared to pay aprox 3$ just for a single sound effect, maybe later if I decide to make this game comercialy available.

I can't find a lot of MIDI music. I know, it's obsolete blah, blah, blah... but MIDI is cool: you can change a lot of parameters while playing (including the instrument!) and I love all that old beeps and fussss... I think I need a MIDI sequencer.
    I partially agree with you. MIDI's alows you to quicky get something compleetly different just by changing a few parameters, disabling a chanel etc. But the one thing I don't like with MIDI's is that they doesn't sound the same when played on some modern computer that they sounded on some old computer. So if I'm gonna include some music in one of my games I will probably use module music files like Impulse tracker music files.
    The base concept in moodule music files is very similar to MIDI files except that instead of unstruments smal sound samples are used. And by changing sample's playing frequency you get similar effect than different tones of instrument. Also the module music files support a bunch of different effects wich can be easily used for each sound your need whenever you need.
    For playing module music files in delphi there is a verry powerful component named BASS wich not only supports playing of module music files but also most other popular music files like MP3, MP2, MP1, OGG, WAV, AIFF etc. There is posibility to extend support to other formats with the help of plugins. The component itself has multiplatform support (Win32, OSX, Linux) and comes with C/C++, Delphi, Visual Basic, and MASM APIs.
    For more information on component visit their homepage at http://www.un4seen.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    I can recommend (if you want to have some retro sounds) the software on this page: http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html
    Absolutely easy to use and creates some nice effects.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast