Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elysion Framework/Library

Elysion Framework/Library

Hey guys,
    I'd like to officially release and announce my game development frameworks. It is called Elysion. I've been working on it for almost six years (with some breaks in between) and pretty much everything game- and Pascal-related I did (be it projects at my school, Global Game Jam, Ludum dare, etc.) used an iteration of this engine.

The goal for me was to create an object-oriented game library with easy and intuitive API, so it can be used for rapid prototyping and you can expect to have quick results with little effort.
    Other neat things it has: XBox 360 Controller support (also general Joystick/Gamepad support), Animators (similar to tweens in Flash, Sparrow or Cocos2D), Texture manager (which keeps track of all currently loaded textures and if you tell the library to load the same texture twice it knows you already loaded this texture and does not occupy precious memory but returns the ID of the texture loaded earlier), detailed input events (such as MouseOver, MouseOut, DblClick, Click, etc. for visual elements)

The source is hosted on Github: https://github.com/freezedev/elysion
    To download the package simply hit the big Download button on the right side of the page and select your package type. There is a wiki and an issue tracker on Github. I have begun to fill the wiki with information, there is already a page on how to set up this framework.
    (I am in the process of making a proper web page for this project though.)
    One more thing: The download package contains not only the library itself and its documentation, but is also a template for the application/game you would want to create. Take a look at the /source folder of the package.

Supported platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X (all tested and confirmed working )

It's currently using SDL for window and input handling, OpenGL for its graphics rendering, SDL_ttf for True type fonts, SDL_mixer for audio and in the future also SDL_net for networking. In the far future you will be able to choose between different "components" such as OpenAL for audio and DirectX for graphics.

This framework should work with everything Delphi 7 or higher (I would recommend to use at least Turbo Delphi 2006) or FreePascal 2.4.0+. Lazarus support is pretty good for Windows and Linux (with code completion and stuff), but I haven't spend much time on getting Lazarus support to work with Mac OS X, so if you want to use Mac OS X with Elysion, you should use the command-line scripts. (The script creates universal Mac OS X binaries with support for Intel x86, Intel x64 and PowerPC x86 architectures if these compilers are installed on your system.)

I'd be really interested in your opinions on this project. Let me know what you think.

BTW: This is the same the engine I used in my Rapid Prototyping Talk.
    And yes I know I'm using the terms library, framework and engine very loosely.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Wow.. yet another framework. I'll have a look. This can probably help me design my own engine aswell.

Is it completely aimed at 2D or will you also support 3D?
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Very nice Stoney! I will have to give it a whirl

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
    Is it completely aimed at 2D or will you also support 3D?
    It is 2D only, but you can already combine it with Horde3D and this works quite well. (It also works if you all the 3D stuff yourself )
    There will be a unit in the future which will you allow to use Elysion types with Horde3D and wraps Horde3D in a few classes.
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Sometimes when I see glPushMatrix/glRotatef/glTranslatef/glPopMatrix in sprite rendering function, I can't continue assess engine... But I belive that Elysion makes nice job in other aspects

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney
    The script creates universal Mac OS X binaries with support for Intel x86, Intel x64 and PowerPC x86 architectures
    Interesting, SDL 1.2 works via Cocoa?

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    glPushMatrix/glRotatef/glTranslatef/glPopMatrix in sprite rendering function, I can't continue assess engine...
    That's one of the parts that exists since the early years, I always wanted to change that, but I never got around to it (it always worked well enough ) and as there are some more pressing fixes and features, it won't probably change it the near future. But you are welcome to fork it and send in a pull request with the fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Interesting, SDL 1.2 works via Cocoa?
    It always did as far as I remember. But 64-bit support is available since 1.2.14 if I'm not mistaken.

cool framework Stoney, especially w/ all platform supported !
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/

There has been a new release while PGD was down.

Bugfixes:
    - Fixes a bug in which the screenshot was saved inverted (Screenshot saving is a lot smoother now, it saves the screenshot with a timestamp)
    - Added a workaround for a rare bug in a which an access violation occurred when closing the game window
    - Fixes math calculations in both TelVector3i and TelVector3f
    - Some minor bugfixes

New features:
    - Added new data type: ElysionTypes.TelSize (will replace TelVector2i in some portions of the code)
    - Added dot product calculation for both TelVector3f and TelVector3i
    - Shell script is more customizable now (only on Mac OS X)
    - Better support for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (Shell scripts automatically detects installed SDKs and compiles against the earliest possible SDK)
    - Added a key management system
    - Added a storage system similar to HTML5 LocalStorage (based on the key management system)

We also extended the wiki a bit. Link to both download and wiki is the first post.

keep it up !
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/

I've never had to deal with the SDL, but after finding suitable libraries, it works well. Good job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast