Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
Hmm... I barely get 30fps where dead space 2 gets 30+fps on med/high so performance is an 'issue' I would say... I shudder to think of the carnage on a GMA chip
FPS carnage...funny! Yeah, I am working on the FPS issue mate. It probably doesn't help that the engine I am using is a very very good 2d engine, but it has no native 3d drawing routines out of the box (I am working on this too after the competition!). So I am currently emulating the OpenGL pipeline by using equivalent matrices and routines to transform objects from world space to the screen and then drawing them as 2d lines.

Anyway, I couldn't help noticing one big problem: Memory leak. Shooting boosts memory a few kb, as does a new asteroid - destroying them does NOT make mem usage decrease. I started on 16,714kb RAM and within a minute reached 18,224kb which is a tad worrying
There isn't a memory leak, it is Windows not releasing memory as objects are being destroyed - a well known problem!! The memory gets returned after the game finishes. I could make it so I create a pool of objects at the start of the game that I just reuse and not create/destroy any during the game...

Otherwise very good game, lots of potential - as an improvement: where lines meet it make a big blob which might be nice to avoid? Kinda reminds me of the original tron and the old amstrad days even though those where before my time I have played with them
The blobs are formed from the line ends intersecting each other and having additive effects with their alpha blended parts..

As you say it is a bit like Tron and I quite like the effect to be honest LOL

Thanks for playing mate!!

cheers,
Paul