Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PGDmC: Golden Labyrinth

PGDmC: Golden Labyrinth

Here's the start of my entry. I has no name as of yet, but that is not important right now. As you can see in the screenshot below, I have strayed from the usual 2D world and started a 3D game. It's all quite unfamiliar, but thanks to the tutorial translation I did two weeks ago and Dan's help with the UV problem earlier this week, I'm now beginning to feel reasonably comfortable with OpenGL.

I'm not going to tell what type of game I'm working on. I trust it's more fun to keep you in the dark and make you guess from the screenshots instead.

Btw, the fighter model you see in the center does not belong, it was meant as a test.

Blog Entries
    OMG he's re-making XCOM!

Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    OMG he's re-making XCOM!
    Agreed.

When I thought that I thought: OMFG: Its a STAR FOX DUEL! OMGOMGOMGOMG! That would be such a good game to ake for PGDmC...

Reminds me, I still need to get to the local library to pick up that OpenGl reference book I was looking for... Some other time maybe.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Nope, its no XCom and no Star Fox.
    You have to view this area more as an arena. I'll post more later today.

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to it.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

I've decided to do regular updates. It certainly motivates me, and I hope it will also motivate others.

Change list:
    • I've looked into alternatives for loading the border of the arena. At the moment it is a single object. I don't like how I can use only one texture for a single wall section on the entire wall though. The wall section in the center are single cubes placed next to each other. I did expect to see a seam between each cube but that does not appear to be the case.
    • Ortho mode as been added, to allow for text and gui elements.
    • Two Lights have been. Not sure if I like it though. Normal information isn't included in the models and these lights make that quite clear.
    • It's probably useless for the game since we aren't allowed to use a mouse, but there's now a camera system to navigate through the world.
    • The first combatant has made it's way to the arena. Not sure yet if it's playable or cpu controlled.

That's it for now. More news tomorrow.

Edit: For those who like to know. I use Delphi7 for the game, Lightwave and 3DCoat for the models, PhotoShop for the textures.
    Last edited by Traveler; 26-06-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Seems you are learning OpenGL quickly. Very nice

You should be able to generate pretty good normals for your model. This can probably be done with existing tools but you could also do it on the fly in your own code.

If you need paticular textures, I could try to generate them for you using Genetica. I still need to get the hang of using that program. Only when I have enough time ofcourse.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    Oh neat robots. I think I had one that looked like that when I was a kid. So this'll be like robot wars or something?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    (...) As you can see in the screenshot below, I have strayed from the usual 2D world and started a 3D game.
    Initially I planned to do the same (2D game rendered as 3D) but finally I decide to use simple 2D.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I'm not going to tell what type of game I'm working on. I trust it's more fun to keep you in the dark and make you guess from the screenshots instead.
    Looking at your second screen-shot I remember Qix-style games (you know, "Gals Panic" and all that). Actually I'm not sure why, but it looks nice.
    No signature provided yet.

@chronozphere: Thanks for the texture offer. I'm good for now though. I have a pretty extensive library myself. Plus, there's a lot that can be found just by using google.

@WILL: 'Wars' is probably too big a word here

@?ëu?±o Mart??nez: I'm not familiar with Qix. But after searching for it I understand what you mean. A long time ago I played Volfied. It looks similar.

But,.. here's yet another update:

Changelist:
    • Normal information has been included in the models. It looks so much better now
    • Basic level loading procedures have been added. Nothing too fancy, just a text file with numbers so I know where to place objects.
    • The robot now moves horizontally, changing direction upon hitting a wall.

That's it for today. More again tomorrow.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast