Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PGDmC: Golden Labyrinth

I actually meant to post something yesterday, but I wanted too much and ended up getting nothing.
    What I wanted was a little video, but I couldn't get CamStudio to work properly. Something silly about a codec that failed to initialize. After the tenth error or so I had enough and went to bed. Without the video there wasn't much new to write about anyway.

I suppose today was even worse. Not because I still have no video. No, today I learned I have a week less to work on this entry. Not sure why but in my mind the competition ended on the 17th and not the 10th of July. Pretty stupid huh
    Well, at least it set my mind straight about the rule I set for this competition: Keep it simple! And don't add fancy stuff until you have something playable.

So on with the game. Here is the latest screenshot. I suppose it leaves little to guess about what kind of game I'm making, right?

Changelist:
    • A basic AI routine has been added. Robots now choose any available direction. It still needs quite a bit of work as, among other problems, they often tend to return into the direction they came from.
    • Robots first rotate into the direction they want to go, before they actually go in that direction.
    • The load level procedure has been altered so that it now also loads items than can be picked up.

That's it for now. Let me know what you think and in case you're participating in the compo, be sure to write something yourself.

Looking just awesome mate! Keep it coming

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I suppose today was even worse. Not because I still have no video. No, today I learned I have a week less to work on this entry. Not sure why but in my mind the competition ended on the 17th and not the 10th of July. Pretty stupid huh
    For some reason I had the same date in my head. Guess we'll both have to hurry up but you at least have something to show. Nice screen. Are you making a Pacman clone?
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Blog Entries
    Well the game does look interesting. Pac-Man comes to mind obviously. You've got to spill the beans about the game play mechanics eventually though.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

So you have the game almost finished, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    Not sure why but in my mind the competition ended on the 17th and not the 10th of July. Pretty stupid huh
    For some reason I had the same date in my head. Guess we'll both have to hurry up but you at least have something to show.
    "Just like me", or "me too", or ...
    No signature provided yet.

Before yesterday I wanted to do a bit more than a PacMan clone, but with only 10 days left, I'm not sure if that is an option anymore. My roadmap looks something like this:

• before end of the weekend: finish gameplay, meaning a player, score, kill enemies/player and end/next level mechanism.
    • mid week: add menu, start- and end screen, optionscreen and some basic optimization.
    • next weekend. Polish, polish, polish. Add sounds, 'engine' optimization, level building, different textures. Etc, etc.

Now it looks like a 3D Pac-Man! But it can still be anything. An AABB world is soo convenient!

Last weekend wasn't as productive as I wanted it to be. I was away mostly the entire time, leaving only Friday and Sunday evening to work on the game. The roadmap I posted previously has been mixed up a bit. I worked a little on gameplay and made sure the player can navigate the map properly. The enemies however are still as stupid as ever, and still pass through the player leaving both unharmed.
    That said, I got so annoyed by the unreadable text files that I took an hour to write a very basic leveleditor instead. Having a bunch of 1's and zero's in a grid in Notepad is definitely not a great way to build levels.

What you see here is a TPaintbox together with some TImage components. Select a tile in the upper right panel, click somewhere on the paintbox and together with a save/load option it's pretty much all it can (needs to) do.

Last weekend wasn't as productive as I wanted it to be. I was away mostly the entire time, leaving only Friday and Sunday evening to work on the game. The roadmap I posted previously has been mixed up a bit. I worked a little on gameplay and made sure the player can navigate the map properly. The enemies however are still as stupid as ever, and still pass through the player leaving both unharmed.
    That said, I got so annoyed by the unreadable text files that I took an hour to write a very basic leveleditor instead. Having a bunch of 1's and zero's in a grid in Notepad is definitely not a great way to build levels.

What you see here is a TPaintbox together with some TImage components. Select a tile in the upper right panel, click somewhere on the paintbox and together with a save/load option it's pretty much all it can (needs to) do.
    Looking good bro! Simple is the key when it works

cheers,
    Paul

Ugh, too much time has gone passed since my previous update.
    Things have progressed slowly. Among other things, I spent a lot of time redoing the robots movements as they previously were very sloppy. They would turn prematurely or turn incorrectly, driving backwards for example. In hindsight I should have opted for a whole different solution altogether. Oh well...

Something else I -again- discovered is that learning an engine or in this case an API and writing a game (with a deadline) at the same time is far from ideal. I came to a similar conclusion during a previous Ludum Dare, but the code mess you write in 72 hours is far from the mess you can create in four weeks. And so, as the game grows I find myself refactoring quite a lot. That's not necessarily a bad thing as it improves the code a lot, it's just that time could also be spent on new features.

Another interesting issue came up after creating a new level layout (the one you see below). Because the play area is larger than what you can see at any time, it is possible to move into an enemy without being able to escape in time. To counter that problem, I added a radar so players can better decide their route. What's interesting though is that it not only solved the problem, I suddenly found navigating the maze to be more fun as well.

Change list:
    • overall code cleanup/refacturing
    • changed movement for robots to better navigate through the maze
    • created a new level
    • added portals from which enemies can spawn
    • added a start menu & loading-, win-, lose screens
    • dots can now be picked up, plus you receive a score
    • added a (bounding sphere) collision detection procedure
    • added a radar so you can better see yourself as well as your enemies
    • added several small updates in the editor such as a Portal cell including the option to save a small image from the map to be used as the radar background.

That's it. Only four days left now. I suppose its a good thing the weather forecast is set on rain for the coming days

Good luck with your own entries guys!
    Last edited by Traveler; 13-07-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast