Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PGDmC - Duke of Dragonfear: Deathland

PGDmC - Duke of Dragonfear: Deathland

I'm tracing my advances in my blog but it's in Spanish and everybody created a thread here so...

My game's name is Duke of Dragonfear: Deathland, as a tribute to Tim Harnell, whose books teach me a lot about games and general programming. The game itself has some of hte original Duke of Dragonfear, random maps, caves and treasures, but will be a lot different too. Instead of dragons there will be zombies and skeletons.

Last weekend I was planning and looking for graphics. I've found a great isometric character set in OpenGameArt.com which is almost perfect for my game. For the scenery I didn't find any tile-set that fits the character style and my tile-map engine (the one used by the Allegro.pas' demo game) so I'll adapt some I've find.

That's all at the moment.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 26-06-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    No signature provided yet.

Excellent! Another game in the competition.

Looking forward to some screenshots!

Blog Entries
    Sounds great can't wait to see more as you progress.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

As I've said at "What gives?" it's too hot here, in Madrid, and I can't think a lot. You know, I feel lazy (I mean "more lazy" ) but I'm trying to advance in the game. Yesterday I was modifying the tilemap engine from the Allegro.pas demonstration game. Now it loads the tileset and seems to render everything right. I hope I can write a "map-maker" to build random maps this night and then I can show you how it looks.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 30-06-2011 at 08:26 AM.

I had problems with the dungeon generator; it was harder than I suspected. But here you have an screen-shot:

(No, it isn't MacOS, nor it is Windows: it's Xubuntu. But the game should work on MacOS and Windows too, theoretically )
    I have half sprite system finished. I hope I have a crawling player this night.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 06-07-2011 at 07:59 AM.

I have a dragon in my project too!
    Last edited by Jimmy Valavanis; 30-03-2012 at 04:35 PM.

The original Duke of Dragonfear has dragons. I'm not sure if this will have, because I didn't find a good dragon graphic for it. May be I should look deeper.

BTW, the player is in!

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez View Post
    I had problems with the dungeon generator; it was harder than I suspected.
    Map generation is sensitive; you can make great maps with a few lines of code, but it has to be the right lines. I made one once, based on a few random rectangles and corridors between them. I didn't care if a corridor crossed over another room, and rooms could overlap. It was that simple and it never created a bad level.

You obviously create visible walls, but if you do that as post-processing, simply detecting edges, then it shouldn't be hard. But you are making things a bit trickier wih pseudo-3D effects. You can't have too narrow corridors, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    Map generation is sensitive; you can make great maps with a few lines of code, but it has to be the right lines. I made one once, based on a few random rectangles and corridors between them. I didn't care if a corridor crossed over another room, and rooms could overlap. It was that simple and it never created a bad level.
    Actually I wrote a similar algorithm on MSX some time ago, but I decided to use a different one here. BTW, I think I'll rewrite the map-making algorithm for the final version, after the contest. I don't know what algorithm to use.

Oh, and now the game engine is almost finished! Here you have: Zombies!

After this shot I added skeletons, similar to the ones from the classic "Jason and the Argonauts" film. Zombies are easy to fight but skeletons are harder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast