I have a few years experience playing around with Delphi. I dabbled in DirectX and especially OpenGL. But now I'm switching to Linux, and would like some advice. I'd like to create some graphical apps, 2D and 3D, perhaps even some games for the Linux platform.

I don't know where to start! Please give me your advice.

I'd like to stick with Pascal, so I assume first of all, Kylix. But maybe FreePascal is pretty nice, too?

Any 2D APIs for Linux? I'm really impressed by Gnome. Is it possible to use the GTK+ library (the API for Gnome) with Kylix, and make Gnome graphical apps and games? When you create an app with Kylix will it run under Gnome? If so, surely the underlying API is accessible? Surely Borland have created Pascal headers for the GTK+ library?

But would Gnome be too slow for a 2D scrolling game (think of something like Panzer General)? I like games which make use of the underlying windowing system (rather than having to switch resolutions to a full screen), as long as speed is not compromised.

I hear nice things about SDL. Is it good for fast 2D games?

For 3D I reckon I'll stick with OpenGL. I hope that's not impossible with Kylix.

Any pointers, advice and tips are most welcome.