Thread: PGDmC: My unnamed project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    At first I tried the SOAR algorythm for terrain (an very good example can be found at http://galfar.vevb.net/wp/projects/terrain-rendering/) but finally I came up with my own idea of LOD: I devide the whole terrain in 1024 regions (32*32) and create for each region two precompiled OpenGL lists, one in full quality (for close regions) and another in low quality (less trianges for far regions). I also calculate the bounding sphere for each subdivision and check if it is inside the view area to render it. This technique is neither elegant nor as accurate as the SOAR algorythm, but surprisingly is much faster In the other hand the built-in bsp rendering took care of the indoor areas. In 2-3 cases I was forced to make crude adjustments to the source code but that was mostly because of the map design imperfections. The most tricky part was the connection between the outdoor and indoor area (I'm talking about entities movement/interaction, not rendering issues). I've used the existing lightmap code to make simple shadows for moving objects which gave me an acceptable fast solution.
    Unfortunatelly DelphiDoom is not available neither in Mac nor in Linux, if you're interesting porting it to other Operating systems or help improve it would be great!
    Last edited by Jimmy Valavanis; 30-03-2012 at 03:56 PM.