Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: PGDmC: 2-bit Racer

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Sadly I cant play your game either. I wanted to make it a point to try and play the games you all made, but in this case I cant. Perhaps you or someone else is able to create a video so we can at least see your game in action?
    I'll try to make a video. However, it should be piece of cake to port it to Linux or Window with a computer with FPC installed. I might do that myself, but there is a startup time on that for me. (And I am also a bit busy trying to add the music.)

I tried making a Windows port today. Big surprise, it is always harder than you expect. I use Unix file handling calls (FpOpen, FpRead etc) for TGA loading and OBJ loading, and replacing them with standard Pascal calls turned out to be pretty hopeless. FpRead just doesn't map well on Read, not even BlockRead. I might have done something wrong but BlockRead messed up my data badly.

So I should probably give up the portability ambitions for now. Really a pity since that is a major reason for using OpenGL. A Linux port would be much easier though.

Too bad about the conversion. But, thanks for putting up the video.

Speaking of my conversion, there were two problems: I did try to remap the file functions, and was partially successful, but then we have the other problem: Playing sounds. I use QuickTime on the Mac, and although QuickTime exists for Win32, it won't help for Linux and I never used it on Windows, so there can be any number of problems.

What do the rest of you use to play music under Windows?

There is always SDL DLLs, and freepascal comes with SDL units already.

cheers,
    Paul

Aren't there any extensions to OpenAL for playing music?

OpenAL works out of the box for sound effects, but if you want play stuff like ogg files you need some extra units and dlls I think.

See here for a C++ tutorial on ogg streaming:
    http://www.devmaster.net/articles/op...ls/lesson8.php

There is a Delphi translation at the bottom of the page

cheers,
    Paul

I used bass for my entry. It's free for non commercial games, which makes it a great choice for competitions like the one we had.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I used bass for my entry. It's free for non commercial games, which makes it a great choice for competitions like the one we had.
    And cross-platform too, nice. Never heard of it but it can be worth a try. FPC interfaces? Or is that trivial?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345