Thread: PGDmC: 2-bit Racer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sounds great Ingemar, keep going mate

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Sounds great Ingemar, keep going mate
    Thanks! Sadly, that's exactly what my game AI's does not do right now. They get stuck. Oh well, they are the latest addition so I just have to figure out a few more rules for them to follow.

Test upload made! It is called "2-bit racer test 1.zip" and is a binary for Mac OSX 10.6.

The game looks a bit strange since the cars have no wheels, but otherwise it is getting close now. The game AI works, it is not very good but it is possible to perform a full race, currently with two opponents. A full race is three laps.

Linux/Windows version? Well... no. I won't have time. Most of the code is fully portable, especially to Linux, and to Windows shouldn't be hard, but I don't have time for that. Most critically, I don't have any Windows development system with FPC that I am comfortable with. But if someone would like to help me with that, it might be easy.

I just tested the game on two other Macs, with less than pergfect results. The other Macs are older, have less powerful GPUs. On an old MacBook, with GMA950, I could make it run once I turned off the shaders, and even then it ran less than smooth.

But I believe that the judge's Macs were rather better than my main MacBook, and then it should work just fine. I better upload a shader-free version just in case. It doesn't look as good but the chance of running at all improves a bit.

AI can be really tricky in these kinds of games. If you are using a 3d environment you will probably need to set out invisible waypoints or some other datastructure to "guide" the AI. This can take a lot of time to fine-tune.

And yes, making it a fun game is allways the hardest part. I've written two games in pascal and while they both worked great, they were still not well-balanced and still miss that replay value a good game needs.

Good luck (You'll need it)
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

I am soon ready to make another upload, with a whole bunch of fixes, but it would be really interesting to know if anmyone out there with a fairly modern Mac can run the game. Anyone?

I realized something unpleasant but important: The speed of my game was not limited by my timer but by my CPU. That means that other Macs can work very, very differently. In order to fix that, I fixed the worst bottleneck (Immediate Mode code). The whole game went VA-VA-VOOM and got totally unplayable - but really smooth. So now I have to re-tune the whole mess.

I knew all along that Immediate Mode wasn't an good idea, but the difference was bigger than expected.